1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice o

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Limaren, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Limaren

Limaren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My 2008 Prius with 160,000 miles was recently totaled when it hit a deer, and the age/miles was supposedly not worth the cost of repairs. Florida has weird laws regarding buy-backs, so I can't really my get it repaired on my own. I loved that car.

So, in the market for another Prius. Looking at Gen 3, here is what I've narrowed it down to:
    2013 Four 90,500 miles with moonroof for $13,000 out-the-door & 30-day warranty
    2014 Two 52,300 miles for $15,900 (not sure if their 12 month certified warranty is extra)
    2014 Four 63,800 miles for $14,000 (warranty is extra)

Questions:
    How reliable is the moonroof (not solar - just plain)? While I would love that feature, I like little to the little to no maintenance besides check-ups better.
    Would the extra 30,000 miles of the one-year older model be worth the $1,000 savings?
    How risky is buying a certified pre-owned vehicle without an extended bumper to bumper warranty be?

I'm on my own here in a new area, so I thought I'd consult the folks who always helped with questions I've had in the past - YOU.

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y)!

Seems like you have a decent budget.

Some questions:

• Where in Fl are you located?
    • How many miles do you plan on putting on the Prius annually?
    • Do you do maintenance yourself?
    • Would you consider a plug-in Prius?
    As far as the moonroof, there have been reports of those in the snowy areas where the weather stripping around the moon roof was degrading.

The 2014 for $14k seems the best deal to me:).

Hope that helps(y).

CNYhybrid likes this.
  3. Limaren

Limaren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm in Northeastern Florida near the Georgia border. I was averaging almost 19,000 per year, but since moving, I'm guessing it will go down to 13,000-15,000. I always had service done at a Toyota dealer, but given the closest is now 30-50 minutes away (depending on traffic) I may switch to something more local. I hadn't even thought of a plug in - are they as reliable?
    I'm guessing with the constant sun (& relatively close to the ocean), the stripping degradation might be an issue here as well.

I appreciate your help.

Edit: The Prime is way out of my price range. :(

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I was referring to the Gen1 plug in that was made between 2012-2015;). Out here in the Bay Area they can be had for ~$13-17k depending on mileage. They are just as reliable as a regular Prius, with the added benefit of ~11 miles EV when it’s plugged in:).

If sticking to your above plan and not deviating, I would choose the 2014 still as it has lower miles and if you choose dealer maintenance, it has lower miles.

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

5. Limaren

Limaren Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You can tell how satisfied I was with my little 2008, I hadn't even heard of the Gen 1 plug in. (n):)
    I'll check into that.

Raytheeagle likes this.