1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice on 30K maintenance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by vinnysca, Jul 28, 2008.

1. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since I posted anything here. Here goes:

I'm coming up to my 30K miles on my 2006 Prius. I've benefited from the advice of other veteran Prius owners on this board on what one really needs on their 30K mile anniversary.

But, since moving to NH I'm really weary of the only dealership in this part of the state. I know that some of the posters recommend that the rear drum brakes be inspected. I tried doing this myself but couldn't get the drum plates off due to rust.

Here's my million dollar question:

Would I lose out if I don't take my Prius for its 30K maintenance check? I only drive the car to work and hardly even use the parking brakes. And if I do, I don't even push on the ebrake pedal that hard. Six to 7 clicks at the most.

If I can wait for the 60K check, I'd rather.

Thanks so much guys!

Vince.

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's what is recommended Toyota Parts and Service. However, since almost everything is a visual inspection, the cost shouldn't be much. Replace the ICE and cabin filters yourself. My 30K service at my dealer was $52.88. Basically your looking at an oil and filter change along with tire rotation.

3. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks.

Did they inspect your rear drum brakes? If not, then I should be OK then. I will just replace the filters myself. One of the things I've done every month was to vacuum my a/c filter. it's still good.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Does NH require an annual (or other interval) safety inspection? Virginia does, and I rely on that for inspection of vehicle components that have a potential safety impact, including brakes (front and rear), suspension and steering components, fuel system, and exhaust system.

5. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

yes, there's a yearly inspection required. But it's very lax. I think the only thing they really inspect is if the break lights turn on when you step on the brake pedal.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Vince,

I assume that you have access to the Prius 30K mile schedule so that you can see the list of required inspections. I further assume that you have been able to perform all of the inspections other than the rear brakes. If these assumptions are not correct, then you may be risking your safety as well as the vehicle's performance, to some extent.

Regarding the drum brake inspection, this is relatively simple. Go to your local hardware store and buy a couple of 6 mm bolts, 25 mm length or longer. Then jack up the rear of the car and place jackstands to keep the car up. Remove both rear tires. Release the parking brake. Insert the two bolts into the threaded holes that are on the face of the rear drum. Rotate clockwise so that the bolts force the drum off the brake assembly. Repeat on the other side of the car. Now you can inspect the brake lining, look for a leaky wheel cylinder, and clean off the interior using brake parts cleaner, etc.

7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Thanks for the advice! I'll try that this afternoon after i get home from work.

Vince.