1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on buying an 188K mile '01 for $2500.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by atikovi, Jan 20, 2009.

1. atikovi

atikovi Junior Member

First off, I've owned an '02 for the last 3 years which now has 151K miles so I'm not new to or afraid of high mileage Priuses although mine has never needed any work or repairs since I got it with 125K miles.

The one I'm looking at I would just buy to flip. It's at a public auction and I put in a low ball $1500 bid on it, and they counteroffered with $2500. The body and interior is very clean and it was driven into the auction. The engine sounds strong. I did see some warning messages on the screen but don't know what they were for. Also I can do most repair work myself.

What is the car worth? Is $2000 a good price? I'm thinking it must be worth that much in parts alone. I know the prices on these cars are way down with the drop in gas prices but when it goes back to $4 a gallon this summer it should rebound.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's really hard to say what the car is worth without knowing what is wrong with it.

What if the traction battery, electric steering gear, and catalytic converter need to be replaced. Can you do that work yourself at a low enough price so that when you sell the car, you will make any money?

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $150 could save you $1000's.....if you already own a Prius you should own a scangauge. You can buy one here for $150 (click on orange shop button on top of this page) and it will read out the codes (check engine lights) that your prospective Prius is showing with the flick of a switch. Buying a Prius that has a lit check engine light is just plain nuts at any price without knowing the severity of the cel. This car is unlike any other car on the market in that if it's showing a CEL...it ain't kidding. It could be into the thousands to fix. Inverter...transaxle...control cpu's....etc...you name it and its expensive.
    Or could be easy.Like gambling at $2500 a flop? Buy a SG here and have it overnighted for $15. Thats smart money. Good Luck.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Should be. The battery should be able to net you $1k if it's in good condition (if the car turned out to be a dud)