1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice on Extended Warranty for my 2011 Prius Three let it ride, or....

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Lucky Lager, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Lucky Lager

Lucky Lager Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok I only have 26000 miles on my Prius but my 36 month mark is coming up, I have a few options from a few dealers and adding $0 deductible warranties to last me 3 to 7 more years.

My question is with all of you here with more Prius knowledge and experience than me (this is my first Prius) what do you honestly think I should do?

Say let it ride or would it be wise to get one, I plan on keeping car for at least 3 more years. I know its all a crap shoot but Im guessing some of you know better of my worst case scenarios are vs best case.

So any input would be great - thanks

2. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Take the money the extended warrant would cost. Put it in a CD and use it for repairs or most likely the down payment on the replacement car. You have a 95% chance of spending zero for non-scheduled repairs over the next 3 years.

3. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks brother - I was leaning that way

4. matt b.

matt b. Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    coming from someone who has an extended warranty I totally disagree what the other guy I think you should expect the unexpected and be ready never get caught with your pants down so to speak that's my opinion I have an extended warranty and it covers a ton of stuff that the warranty does not in fact I'm getting window trim and that's not covered by my warranty alone

5. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Feeling lucky ? I went with extended warranty zero deductible ... Read a posting
    Of a 2011 elec troubles , no warranty , $ 1600.00 plus labor ,

6. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks I appreciate input but window trim Ill fix myself, not worth $1700 warranty... I want to know how the track record has been for these Prius' first 70k miles or so I have had lots of warranties and its only paid off once. I can fix most things...just not all the cars computer stuff. Anything else like window regulators, AC compressors etc, rubber, thats all easy to me.... I just haven't found any glaring problems in these forums, so I figured Id ask about horror stories if there are any.... I have had at least 15 toyota's.... Ive only had a few recalls and 1 AC compressor go bad...thats it. I am new to the Hyrbid, so Im curious about the expensive software/hardware issues

That would be a wash then with $1600 or $1700 warranty, thats just a prepaid repair bill.... if it happened twice under warranty that would be helpful....

Im trying to nail down how likely it is to have around $3000 or more in repairs in first 5-6 years

(Oh plus labor..hmmmm, do you know what the prob was?)

Maybe I should just ask this question to all here:

What have you or would have you forked out in repair bills in the first 75000 miles?

7. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I believe the majority of folks wouldn't use the warranty. Just my observation.

With that said, there is value in piece of mind to some people. $1200 now and a $0 repair is better than a $1000 repair because of the context.

Lucky Lager likes this.
  8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am at 82k on my 2011.

To date, the only warrantable issue that I've been able to duplicate are noisy control arm bushings. For now, I fixed mine with a spray of silicone lube, but they will need to be replaced eventually. That's about a $300 repair for the DIYer (bushings cannot be replaced separately, must do the entire arm) or $600-$800 at the dealer.

So far, I would say that the extended warranty is not worth it.

9. Lucky Lager

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks man!