1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice on Finding a Cheap Cargo Carrier by Next Week

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Linda L, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi all -

We leave on a camping trip in about a week (we are going about 1100 miles each way), and are starting to try to figure out where to put the stuff we need to take in the 2002 Prius. I do have a one ton truck with a camper on the back, but at the 8-10 mpg it gets, I'd like to take the Prius for the better gas mileage.

It is looking like an impossibility to get the stuff we need into the Prius (with me, and my two kids in the back seat). I can use the front passenger seat for storage, and would probably put an ice chest there. But all the cargo carriers I see recommended here are pricey, and if I have to pay close to $400-500 for a carrier, I'd just as soon take the RV! And I also am in a huge time crunch, in terms of getting anything shipped to me.

Can anyone recommend a more inexpensive model that would work, and that wouldn't absolutely kill my gas mileage? Even if the mileage was in the 30s, that would be close to four times better than the RV.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Linda

2. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Check craigslist. But make sure you know what type of rack fits your car. Not sure what fits the Gen1's but you can check Yakima.com or Thule.com fit guides.

Ive also seen cargoi bags that don't require a rack but not sure where to find them. Quick Google search brought up THIS.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you really really sure everything won't fit? Is it possible you're taking more than you need? We stuffed four of us and all our camping gear in the car and drove across Canada and back. Yes, it was the larger hatchback Prius, but still.

4. Linda L

Linda L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    There is a lot of difference in the trunk size of the Classic and the hatchback! A good part of the trunk space is being used by a row of batteries in the Classic. Right now, at just the tent, air mattresses, sleeping bags, folding chairs, and three small duffle bags for clothes, the trunk is getting full. And that doesn't include any food, or supplies for cooking like the stove.

So, I'm really not trying to overpack, but still have to fit things in like food and supplies, the life jackets, etc.

Linda

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Linda. I posed a similar question a while back. Here is the thread:

http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-main-forum/47716-hitch-mounted-cargo-carrier.html

I didn't get an answer, but I do have a few Class I cargo carriers listed that you may be interested in. If your hitch is a Class I (the gen II are, and I assume the Gen I are also), you are limited to a Class I carrier which are a bit more difficult to find. Also, consider ground clearance - you'll most likely want a cargo carrier that has some rise so that it won't drag on transitions such as steep driveways.

Understand that a Class II cargo carrier WILL NOT FIT in a Class I hitch - even though both may be 1 1/4". I'm guessing that the more expensive cargo carriers you've looked at are not Class I, and therefore, will not work anyway. The 2 Class I cargo carriers I found (in link above) are $129, and $139.

Good luck!

... Brad

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, you certainly can't leave the food behind. Or the stove. Sorry, I didn't know the trunk was that small. Is there any room in the rear seat between the kids? Maybe the life jackets and a sleeping bag or two could go there? I'll leave it up to your creativity. :)