1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Advice on potential Prius problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Claudia, May 3, 2005.

1. Claudia

Claudia New Member

This is a repost to this section of the forum........

Hello - new here. We're considering trading 2004 Honda Accord for a 2005 Prius, and had just about made up our minds to do it, when I began reading more and more forum postings (other forums prior to finding this one) reporting serious problems, most often the problem reported is that the car dies in the middle of the highway (or freeway) and all the lights start flashing. I don't want to always worry that I'm going to be stranded. I'm in my 50s and would like to make it into my 60s. This seems like a problem that could easily result in serious injury or death, depending on the circumstances.

Here's an example of what I've read:
    "The issue is, the blue screen of death is nothing compared to your car stopping from 70 mph in the left lane, on the 405 freeway during rush hours. This is happening more than any other car I can remember researching."

Is this as serious an issue with the Prius as it sounds? I'm reading at one time that it might be a software problem, another time it might be a hardware problem. If this has all been talked to death here, someone please point me to it - I don't have time to read everything, and am sorry if this is a duplicate question. Husband is really hot to get this car, I've now got reservations.

I've also read of brake failure, catalytic convertor ($2000), and $400 12 volt battery replacement. Not to mention $140 oil changes??? This mostly comes from Edmunds.
    Has anyone bought a Prius and been sorry they did? I don't want buyer's remorse to set in.
    I don't want to pay 23,000+ for a car that I'll be sorry I have. Any input/information would be much appreciated. Please? It's starting to sound like you need to be really rich to own this car.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Apparently I've missed the stories of having a Prius 'crash' at 70MPH and just roll to a stop. I'd say the number of incidents is PROBABLY limited, but now I'll need to fall by Edmunds and see what the stories say.

I can say my car has gone 25K miles without a shutdown I didn't initiate, and I hope I get at least 175K more miles in before trouble like that hits me...

3. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have 20,000 miles on my 2004 since January of 2004 and have had no problems. You will find postings from people who have problems but there are many more of us that have been problem free. Toyota has provided a great warranty that will cover most any problem and an extended warranty that will take you out to 7 years or 100,000 miles.

Just buy one and enjoy it like the rest of us.

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I can only go from the reports made on this board. My observations would be:
    • There were a handful ( <8 ) reports of something like this happening without cause (i.e., out of gas), where the engine shut down and they had to pull over, because they were only running on the electric engine, over the first year (2003-2004).
    • Since the 2005s came out, I can't remember seeing more than 1 or 2 reports come out about this. There was also a TSB (maybe more than one) that came out in mid-2004 that were supposed to alleviate/cure the situation; newer cars ship with the improved software.

• However, this is only from what I've read here. I am not a Toyota mechanic or even a car techie -- just a satisfied Prius driver (who's never encountered this problem.)

5. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    Claudia,

Do yourself a favor and pass on the Prius.

I suggest you focus only on purchasing a vehicle that is guaranteed to never have a mechanical or electrical problem of any kind.

Personally, I've never had a mechanical or electrical problem in over 20,000 miles on either a 2004 or a 2005 Prius. But that's just me, maybe everyone else is constantly in the shop?

Check Edmunds.

Good Luck!

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Claudia...a car dying in the middle of the freeway is not unheard of in any way what so ever.

a former co-worker bought a Dodge caravan. (at the time, it was the best mini van on the market) well he commuted over the tacoma narrows bridge to work and one day the van suddenly lost power and coasted to a stop... right in the middle of the bridge during rush hour traffic.,,, the van was a month old.

it was towed to the dealership and the on board computer was replaced. (he found out later that the computer was fine, but the technicians couldnt find anything else wrong so they replaced it because it controlled so much of the van's function.)

he gets van back, drives it all weekend with no problems and the very NEXT WORK DAY, again on the bridge going in the opposite direction... it died again.

this time it was in the shop for 5 weeks...and again the computer was replaced. He went to pick it up and it wouldnt start, after that he spent a year utilizing the lemon law to get his money back.

do you know what the problem ended up being??

there is a vapor filter that is in line with the overflow tube in the gas tank. there is also a one way valve that directs any fluid back into the tank before it hits the vapor filter cannister. the valve jammed, the filter got wet and shut down the system. that s what the problem was...

now what i think you should be most concerned with....

1) someone who owns an SUV attempting to steal your Prius

2) Prius wannabees wanting to test drive your Prius...

on the latter, you may agree to let them try a bit of nirvana... but before doing so, i would always ride shotgun while examining a drivers extract to make sure they are qualified to drive your Prius...

hope this helps... good luck

7. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only problem I have encountered is that my favorite Prius related website seems to go down more than Paris Hilton.

Seriously, the chance of a car related injury or death is about the same regardless of any car you get into. In fact the Prius, as a more modern vehicle, makes it safer by default than any used vehicle.

$140 oil change? What? Ask the price upfront and if it's expensive, go somewhere else. The oil filter is easily accessible and the engine needs less oil than most cars. Oil changes should be cheaper.
    No car is guarenteed to never need a repair, but if you are a worrier, then get the extended warranty and drive 100,000 miles worry free. (Don't pay more than $1000 for it though, the delears tend to mark up the warranty price and it is pure profit to them.

The only problem I can even think of, is that since the Prius is a new model, getting parts for it initially will take time, as they'll have to be shipped from Japan. I expect this to change quickly as the car becomes more commonplace, and may even get manufactured in the USA. By the time we are off warrenty, I don't think this will be an issue as supply always keeps up with demand. (Except in the global oil market)

8. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Claudia
    post a link to the site where you got this information so that we can check and comment, because it kinda sounds ridiculous.
    Not you, whoever said the stuff in your post.

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Claudia,
    First off I think you need 20 points which I will donate to you.
    I would recommend that before buying the Prius do a careful research here on PriusChat where you will find a treasure load of information about the Prius. Since any vehicle is capable of dying on the freeway ( some more than others) I am sure you have more Prius specific questions to ask and I encourage you to ask them after giving a little time in looking around the forums here. I'm a little older than you and I have great confidence in the Prius. Much more so than in any of the 20 or so I've owned in my lifetime.
    Hope you make the correct decision.
    Best of luck
    Gary :D

10. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks Gary and everyone else. This is just very new technology to us and it seems the need for information is a little overwhelming. We have about decided to keep the Accord and pass on the Prius for now. With trade-in we would have to fork over about 4500 to get the Prius we wanted (counting tax, tags, and title). It's always tough to figure out the right decision. The Honda has 8K miles, is paid for and runs great. Gets about 24 to 25 mpg average.
    Here is the source of the info we got from Edmunds

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/vi...view/.ef28f96/0

thanks again!!

11. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darwood\";p=\"86840)</div>
    :lolup:

On the other hand, we're considerably brighter (not that that's hard to do...)

Thanks to Danny for dealing with the website problems! (What a thankless job.) I think I'll go find a posting and donate 150 points to you.

12. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Look up the trade in value of a Honda 1, 2, or 3 years older than yours.
    Now look at the trade in value of a 1, 2, or 3 year Prius.

I believe you'll find your 4500$ worth.
    Trade in values for all Non hybrid's are dropping like a rock. Used Prii are holding their value and should continue to do so. That is, unless some new oil well the size of Saudi Arabia is found.

13. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

All things considered, I think your decision to keep your Honda for now is the right thing for you to do. Good Luck.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The 2004/2005 has been basically problem free. Maintenance is very low, all that is really required is oil changes at every 5K, and changing the air filters at every 30K. There is nothing unusual about the oil changes, and the air filters are easy to change for just about anyone. The plugs and coolant will need changes around 100K.
    The coolant systems (there are 2, one for ICE, one for the inverter) should be done by an intelligent technician that can follow directions, as you have to be sure to purge all air pockets. It is strongly suggested that Toyota's scan tool be used to operate the pumps, but you could juryrig a bypass to operate them.
    Brakes should be done by someone with Toyota's scan tool to operate the pump and valves. Many modern brake systems are becoming that way, it really isn't a hybrid issue but rather an ABS/VSC issue.

There have been some that have gotten 'Engine Failed to Start' errors, mainly because the tolerances set for emissions vs economy are so tight. There is a recalibration that solves that.
    Even if this occurs, which is a known but not 'widespread' issue, unlike other cars, you still have limited electrical power to get off the road (at least 1/2 mile, but sometimes as much as 2 miles), where another car you would only have the car's remaining momentum to move off the road.

Some early releases of the 2004 had display problems, but that has been fixed. There was also a brake light switch problem, but that wasn't limited to the Prius, and did not affect brake function, only the brake lamp. It was a simple fix, and was solved before August 2004 production (my car did not need it).

However, you currently have a new car, so I would hold on to it until you get your money's worth from it. The Accord may not get as good mileage as a Prius, but gets good mileage for its size, and is a great car in its own right. It would have been my second choice if I didn't get the Prius.

15. bookrats

bookrats New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia\";p=\"86856)</div>
    Wow... and I thought our spelling was bad! :lol:

There were a couple of reports on the page that sounded legit -- particularly the 2001 Prii, and the one dealing with dealer service dept. shenanigans.

However, as Dave points out, any car with a computer is vulnerable to these kind of problems (including firmware screwups). And car dealers and mechanics come in all shades and flavours.

The rest of the postings appear to me to be either misinformed or just silly. (No one was claiming that the Prius made 86MPH. No one who knew anything about Prii, anyway.)

Thanks for the pointer, Claudia. I can certainly understand wanting to stick to a car that's working well than to a new car. (I had the same concerns -- and I previously owned a Honda.)

However, my reading has led me to believe that the 2004/2005 Prius is as reliable as the average Toyota or Honda, and more reliable than most other cars. And the hybrid drive train warranty covers my concerns about the hybrid technology.

16. Claudia

Claudia New Member

Thanks again. The Toyota dealer here offerred us 20K for the Accord. KBB says 19750. He says he can have the Prius we want in 48 hours most likely and three weeks tops. It's tempting but we hate to spend the $.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just got an add from the local Toyota dealer... oil and filter change and fluid level check for ALL cars...$32.95

and about that Paris Hilton comment... PriusChat doesnt go down THAT much...

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Claudia.

Are you aware that if you buy a Prius new this year you will get a $2,000 clean fuel credit on your 2005 income tax?

You will also spend half what you currently do on gas since the Prius gets twice the mileage of your current car.

I don't know which is cheaper to insure, you might want to check that too. I think there is also free roadside, towing and loaner car.

If you do end up buying.....don't buy the extended warranty from your dealer...check with Troy here first. You can get a 7 year/100,000 mile extended warranty for less than $1,000 and that will go a long way towards easing your mind.

Also keep in mind you may just keep this car longer than your Accord or any other car.

I still think you should test drive the car.

19. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva\";p=\"86896)</div>
    No, it's a $2000 tax deduction. For most people that will work out to between $300 to $500 off their federal income tax. A tax credit would give you a straight $2000 off your taxes.

Some states have further tax incentives.

20. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Anecdotes mean very little; in forums such as these one is likely to hear from ten out of the one hundred people who had serious trouble and from ten out of the one hundred thousand people who had no trouble.

Read Consumer Reports for more reliable reliability data.