1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on upgrading horns to Hella Supertone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by igme, Aug 10, 2009.

1. igme

igme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just bought Hella Supertones to upgrade the stock horn in my 09 prius. Has anybody installed these on their car? Will the stock wiring be able to handle the amperage of the horn or do I need to "upgrade" wiring on the car. If I need to upgrade the wiring, I need to "tap" a line to the positive terminal of the 12v battery. Does anybody have any advice as to where I could "tap" the + of the 12v battery? Any helpful input is welcome.

Thanks.

2. Neena2007

Neena2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I did the Supertones install on my Impreza. Really easy. I don't see it being any different on the Prius. So, you do need a relay and a fuse to make sure they'll work properly. Your Supertones will not sound as good & loud without the relay.

See attached diagram....this is all you need.

Attached Files:

3. igme

igme Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. I just installed it today. I was able to tap to the + of the battery through the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment. I connected it to the positive terminal screw adjacent to the bar where you connect the + jumper cable.

I took longer in finding mounting holes for the horns itself because the much larger the diameter of the horns are compared to the stock ones. I ended up using the stock location in the center for 1 horn and for the other one I had to use a hole just below that. The horns are positioned back-to-back facing the sides and not facing forward as I had hoped. I was trying to avoid drilling holes on the body/frame.

Took me about 2.5 to 3 hours to do.

4. Neena2007

Neena2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you use a relay?
    Can you upload pics to see the install?
    Thanks.

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    bump, i wish the OP was around, i want to see this

6. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We put Camry horns in ours, which sound way better than stock Prius. Very little needed to be done to make them fit - just a tab had to be bent out of the way on the center mount. Wiring handles them fine.

Camry horns were just a few bucks at an auto wrecking yard. Maybe $10 for the pair.

7. stefano5777

stefano5777 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Debating on installing an air horn in the rear bumper of my Prius for when all the jackasses who like to tail gate get close.This way I can say hello nicely :D

8. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because deploying an oil slick (a la James Bond) would be so 1960s and not in keeping with the Prius ethos.:D

9. LIPriusFreak

LIPriusFreak Can I haz JDM?

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and here I was thinking my roof mounted rocket launcher was borderlining on "excessive" :eek: