1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by windstrings, Nov 5, 2005.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was trying to decide what wheels to get in advance of my 2006 arrival....
    I understand or have read that wider wheels with a given tire adds more stability?

I wouldn't mind going slightly larger, but not at the expense of gas mileage.....

I also understand you can recalibrate the computer to see your new size tires so it will calculate accruately?

Saying all that... would you recommend different sized wheels?.. and is it ok?...

If the answer is yes... please elaborate on whether you speak of width, height, or both.... thanks..

At Les Schwabs site: http://www.lesschwab.com/wheels/plus_sizing.asp
    It speaks of this....

2. chrisek

chrisek geek

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a noob owner as well, and looking at this too. What I've seen is in europe they offer 16" wheels (195's, I believe) and in Japan they offer 17" wheels (205/40/17). Gas mileage diff? Can't seem to find it, though I encourage you, a euro, or a jdm customer to respond whatever is found. I can tell you that you will need to watch wheel weights (keep them light), and I can see how 17" wheels would at least hurt city economy (the bead is the heaviest part of the tire, and you are moving it outward thus improving its leverage against acceleration.) Of course, this is all speculation and I do not offer this as factual.

Someone please speak up and prove me wrong, I'd like a certain set of BBS 17" :p

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't think the bead issue is an issue... if anything did take longer to get rolling, it would also take longer to stop and the regenerative brakes would soften the blow...
    If you were putting monster mudders... then we could talk...

4. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I am also researching custom wheels for my 2006 Prius. I'm leaning toward 16x7 lightweight forged wheels with 195/55-16 tires. 16x7 still leaves enough sidewall for a comfortable ride. I'm looking at all of the racing brands, such as Volk, Buddy Club, GramLights, Advan, Kosei, etc. I'm considering 17x7 as my secondary option. I want the same wheel+tire weight as the stock setup, or perhaps even a little lighter.

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think some people have use the 17" optional Scion TC wheels with 215/45-17 tires. In fact I think that size wheel and tire is what some people have called a port option (meaning that they can be installed at the POE by what ever Toyota Region). Check under performance modifications and I think you will find some good old posts on this subject. If you go to Les Schwab take a look at the Toyo Proxis TPT they might be a good tire for the Prius.

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thanks Tumbleweed.. I wonder if you take a gas mileage hit to use them....
    I would like bigger tires, or if that is not practicle, then bigger wheels..... But I don't want the low profile... I feel the ride is not as good and I"ve talked to tire people..they say if you hit anything in the road or even bump a curb good..it will dent the wheels...

I want enough rubber left that I still have a good ride.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If anyone has pictures of a prius with those wheels..
    I would be interested in seeing.. please leave a link if you could?

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

virtually everyone who has gone to 16's has said that they took a mileage hit. Some as high as 6 miles to the gallon. Most who went to bigger eventually went back to stock. V8CobraKid comes to mind, he hasn't posted much lately but the first thing that he did was changed tires and wheels, and mentioned the hit on mileage.

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ouch! thanks for the info... I wonder if the milage hit was real, or just tricking the computer. I'm sure he wouldn't have just relied on the mileage readout, but did the math himself?...

At any rate I wonder the the wheels "churned the air" and slowed things that way?

I do not want to take a hit obviously.

I anyone has any suggestions for a nice looking tire that does not kill mileage, I'm all ears....

I may be stuck with 15 inch wheels.. but thats ok too if I can find something nice.

10. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Take Bridgeston G009 for example,

size - weight - diameter
    185x65/15 - 22lb - 24.5" (US stock)
    195x60/15 - 22lb - 24.2" (size one up)

with 16" wheels
    205x50/16 - 22lb - 24.1" (-0.4")
    205x55/16 - 24lb - 24.9" (+0.4")
    (extra weight on larger wheels, if same material)

Before you decide, make sure the tire will not rub against the inside wheel walls when turned to the max. Extra 1~2cm should be OK.

Cons: MPG hit: from heavier wheels/tires and wider contact friction. If you choose 205x50/16", I will entertain a guess at 5-8% hit on MPG. :(

Pros: Better roadholding, shorter stopping distance, better look. :p

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So what about my original question of "plus sizing"of wheels.. it sounds like they can put a slightly wider wheel on the same tire which does not change the footprint, but would give you more stability when turning etc because the tires sidewalls are farthur apart thus giving a better tripod type stability to the tire?
    Many of the 15 inch wheels I have considered are slightly wider than stock.

Has anybody tried this.. simply getting wider wheels?

12. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think the current wheel width is proper. Any wider than that, the wheels are not protected by tires. Therefore, you will be running at the risk of wheel scratching, especially curbside parking. Some tires come with "rim protector". Make sure you get those if you do go with wider wheels. :)

Other than the extra weight (due to wider), I see little impact on the MPG. (Assuming you only go 1/2" wider...)

13. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

For a car that already weighs 2800 lbs.. I don't think even 280 lbs would do much... thats 10% of the weight ... if it were too big a deal.. you would see your mileage drop everytime you took on a new passenger, or brought home groceries from the store.
    Some of these wheels are within 3 lbs of each other.. thats nothin!..
    But wider wheels would affect aerodynamics... 4 wider blades cutting through the air!

It sounds like I will stay with the 15 inch and try to find the best wheels for that...
    Spoke wheels may churn air more than something more solid... but then maybe not?...

It would sure be nice to have a list of the wheels folks have used that dont' affect mpg.

14. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do. It can be quite significant.

15. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No, sir. Adding 100lb to the Prius may be nothing to MPG, but adding 10lb to your wheels will have significant impact on MPG. Why? because your tires/wheels need to be spinned up while accelerating. The rotational momentum needs energy. Yes, your regenerative brake may recover some, but only a small portion of it.

Also, add weight to wheels worsens the "unsprung weight". In short, your car feels like less "glued to the ground" as you drive it on uneven surfaces.

16. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

There are some 16" wheels that are lighter than the stock 15" wheels. Most of them are forged and cost several hundred dollars per wheel. It is possible to end up with a new wheel+tire combination that is more sporty and lighter than the stock setup, thus preserving the light unsprung weight (good handling) and fuel efficiency. Wider tires = more rolling resistance, so don't buy a tire that is too much wider than stock. Wider wheels will certainly look better too. Good luck, and please report back on your experience.

17. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Don't forget weird camber/caster issues you may have...

I've done this sort of thing on various v8's I've owned, and a lot of people ignore things like the effect upon camber/caster the wider your tires get. Put on tires that are too wide, and you'll upset the suspension geometry. I don't know what the threshold is on a Prius, but for example, if you put wide tires beyond a particular measure, you will get uneven tire wear, typically on the inside edges. In the performance vehicle regime, you buy these things called "camber/caster" plates, that allow alignment shops a greater range of alignment settings than can be done with stock.

Again, I don't know what the threshold is on the Prius, but it's been my experience that most cars can accept a range of how "big" or wide of a tire can be.

Another thing to consider, is what grade of rubber. Do you want a "hard", generally longer life tire at the expense of grip, or a "soft" performance tire that has a Devil's grip, but wears quicker...

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would think the softer gets worse gas mileage.... the more traction the less mileage... increasing the tire pressure gets better MPG, but at the expense of traction.... just be careful when it rains or icy....

19. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Wider rims or tires? I'm assuming rims, and the only thing I've done is wider tires on the Civic while maintaining the same diameter. Went from 175 to 195 as a plus-zero resize for about 150K miles with no problems, unless you count the rear bushings breaking at 200K miles.

20. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My favorite are those little Japanese cars, whose owners have mounted aftermarket wheels (typically fake wire) with massive negative offset (distance between center of wheel and mounting pad, negative means wheel center is to the outside of the mounting pad). The tires stick outside the wheel wells as though the owners were trying to make them into open-wheel race cars, except they're also equipped with the cheapest undersized whitewall tires and the aforementioned fake wire wheels. This causes a lot more wear on wheel bearings and stress on all the parts in the wheel carrier. I have to laugh when I see one of these cars broken down on the side of the road, with the wheel appearing to have broken off the end of the axle.