1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice on whether this is possible

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Vmaxx, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Vmaxx

Vmaxx New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an off the wall question regarding repurposing hybrid batteries.

I own a food truck that was custom built by my friends and I. We made it an all electric food truck so that we don't have to use propane. In our control closet we're housing marine batteries as our auxiliary power source when we're trying to go "off grid" without the use of a generator for short periods of time, albeit with limited power draw. We have the batteries wired to an inverter feeding several outlets throughout and a a battery recharger responsible for recharging the batteries before they deplete. A generator can be plugged into the 50A outlet outside which supplies close to 10k watts, which is not enough to run at full capacity.

What I'm wondering is whether or not it would be feasible to repurpose a hybrid battery for providing additional power to supplement the generator. I've read that Prius batteries have relatively low amp hours as they're designed for micro cycling and that they're designed to be maintained between 50%-75% charge. I'm not sure how much wattage these batteries can provide and if they can be used for prolonged periods of time.

I only ask all of this because I have access to a free hybrid battery, which I presume is in good condition, off a Prius that was donated to the fire station I volunteer at. The car was involved in a wreck and is destined to be set on fire for training purposes. I'd love to use the battery if I can before it's sent off to be donated or sold.

2. smilyme

smilyme Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Assuming g2 or g3 your correct relatively low amp hours as designed for micro cycling
    and that arguably best to be maintained between 50%-75% charge.

They are configured for 200-240dc and are controlled by embedded logic.
    You would need to reconfigure the battery pack and/or add inverters and maintenance and safety and on and on.
    Or break out the cells and start over.
    Electronics knowledge required, any non confidence means DONTdo it.

#2 smilyme, Nov 7, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    what you need to do is take the whole prius system and tow it behind the truck. the battery can run your equipment through an inverter, and the engine/tranny will keep it at the proper charge level.
    thats how people use them for camping and home power backup

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would recommend saving the battery and putting it up on eBay.

The solar industry has better solutions for battery power. Many are turn-key which eliminates a lot of problems.

The next generation of EV pickup are going to be totally awesome and have power-take-off.

Bob Wilson