1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need advice!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wishes, Jul 9, 2006.

1. wishes

wishes New Member

After a 4 month ordeal with my dealership (which you can read here ) I am at a MAJOR crossroads.

a) if I go looking for other dealers for my pkg 5 (BLACK!), how will I find it or how long will it take? I only have until sept 30 for the tax credit. I've been carless for 2 months now and NEED a car NOW! (but don't want the dealer to know that).

B ) There IS a dealer in NY who has my exact pkg and color (the one the dealer located but hasn't gotten), but how do I find it??

c) My dealer has a pkg 3 coming in, in black. But should I really forgo the VSC?? I hear it's an important feature to have in a car. According to CR, that's one feature you SHOULD make sure you have.

d) Should I should say to heck with it all and go look for another car? Maybe a Yaris or a Civic?

I'm really distressed over this. I can't go another month without a car. :(

Thanks in advance.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jul 9 2006, 08:51 AM) [snapback]283283[/snapback]</div>
    As someone who didn't get VSC, let's just say that's the one thing I regret about an otherwise awesome car. If I had to do it over again, that's the one thing I would change. Nav is cool and the bluetooth connection is a nice gadget, but from everything I've read since buying the car, VSC is the biggest improvement in vehicle safety since airbags.

That said, I think you should be able to find the car you want in short order (at MSRP), but you have to be willing to widen your search radius a bit. I know there were some dealers in DC-area Virginia that were selling Prii below MSRP for a while, so they presumably had some excess stock. If you want to pay more than MSRP, you can go talk to Toyota of Greenwich (CT) :p

I think that the internet is your friend but, to be honest, I think that the phone is a better friend. If I were you, I'd start calling all the dealers in your area and asking them if they have the car you want. Then I'd expand the search radius and keep going until you find your car. Internet requests are easy to ignore, but they pretty much have to respond to phone requests because you're right there.

You could go for a Yaris or a Civic; they're both nice cars. Since our previous car (before the Prius) was on a "death watch," we had a contingency plan to go buy an Accord if our Prius didn't come in on time. However, if you're willing to work for it, you should be able to get a Prius soon.

Anyway, good luck!

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My opinion: there are TWO things you NEED: VSC and the side air bags.

If you absolutely cannot wait, you are in the tough situation of possibly having to settle for a car you don't really want. Life is hard that way; full of disappointments.

However, don't give up before searching over a wider area. People have found Priuses in very short order by searching far and wide. Be flexible on color. You can get used to any color. That will greatly improve your chances.

4. tacomel

tacomel New Member

Agreeing with the advice in the two current responses and adding the following encouragement/information.

1. Strongly consider breaking ties with your current dealer. Now, I have never been to New Jersey much less am I at all familiar with Toyota dealers there. But, it sounds like you are getting jerked around. They don't deserve your business, be it for a Prius or anything else.

2. Assuming you can get your deposit back and that there is no cancellation penalty at the current dealer, I'd suggest that you call every dealer in New York until you find out which one has or can get your car. That's the way to find which dealer in New York has that car coming in. By the fifth call or so, you'll be able to "cut through the crap" and get the information you need within a few minutes. Specific instructions from me: go to toyota.com and punch in different states or zip codes. I found in my search that typing a zip code corresponding to downtown Chicago gave me a list of every dealer in northern Illinois. Even if the deposit is non-refundable or there is a penalty you may be able to get out of it by the fact that they missed delivery deadlines or something.

3. I got a package #5 and a #7 and by comparing the two I can say that the one thing I miss on the #5 is the HID headlights. Assuming the few hundred dollars is not a huge object, consider a #6 as well. Depending on allocations in your region this bit of flexibility may help you and in my opinion it's worthwhile but shouldn't break a budget.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All of above plus:

Consider all colors. For you it sounds like a #5 is more important than black. Consider any package that has what #5 has or more and any color exterior and interior and you'll have a car much faster.

Start doing the legwork yourself. Use the internet to find that car. You CAN find it before September. Four months is way too long for any reputable dealer. That means.....forget your dealer. Buy your car somewhere else. If they don't give you your money back...sue them. (I'd love to see their faces when you drive up in your new car and demand your deposit back. "You had four months and nothing. So I found my own car. I'm here for my deposit."

You may have to go out of state. Decide how far you're willing to fly out and drive back and widen your search that far. Only deal with the internet managers, not the regular sales staff.

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

VSC came on the first time this week. I'm glad I had it.
    I took a left turn too fast on wet roads and old tyres, and started to slide towards the curb. The VSC came on and I regained traction.

Pretty nifty !!

7. wishes

wishes New Member

Thanks to everyone so far for the advice. I'll be on the phone tomorrow to all the dealers I can find in the NJ-NY-PA area. :)

As for the color, I really, REALLY, REALLY like it in black and no other color. Really. The only color I could POSSIBLY like but haven't seen yet in person is the grey. Actually, the red is ok...but I can't see myself in a red car (I know it's silly, but still). I figure I'm going to have this car for a LONG time (at LEAST 10 years) and am paying QUITE a large sum for it, so I SHOULD get something I want, right?

I guess if I KNEW I only had to wait one more month for the exact car I wanted, I COULD. But it's not knowing that's really driving me crazy. :/

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jul 9 2006, 09:00 PM) [snapback]283597[/snapback]</div>
    Then stick with black and any package that's #5 or higher. You may have to settle for an ivory interior rather than gray. (I did.) I think you'd probably be happy with the magnetic gray as well, it's rather dark.

I'd still suggest using e-mail to the internet managers rather than the phone. Use the build a car and contact all dealers within whatever radius you're willing to travel. I say this because I've read plenty of horror stories here about promises made on the phone that once you get to the dealer turn out to be bait and switch. And if you have to travel a distance you don't want to be at their mercy. Remember, don't mention anything about you dead car or your deadline. I don't think it would hurt to tell them you're contacting all of the dealers in X distance and whoever meets your criteria first gets your business and your money. If you work hard enough, travel far enough and compromise on the packages you might have a car by the end of the month.

9. wishes

wishes New Member

Took everyone's advice, and with the help of a PC members' list of NJ dealers, the internet and yahoo yellow pages, I contacted just about every dealer I could.

I ended up finding someone who had the exact car I wanted, but it was sold by the time I got there.

The salesman, however, DID locate one for me coming in that was unclaimed by any dealer. What really bothers me is that my dealer (the one who has my deposit on the 1300 below MSRP deal) didn't do this for me, and lied to me everytime they said they would locate one and would call me. Thanks to them, now I'm paying a lot more and will probably get it upon my 5th month of waiting. I'm really hoping what goes around, because they've dealt me a lot of problems.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jul 13 2006, 06:48 AM) [snapback]285589[/snapback]</div>
    He didn't want to sell a car at $1,300 below MSRP.

Utter speculation: This salesman didn't realize that Priuses sell for MSRP and there is no need to deal. So he made the deal with you. Then his manager chewed him out for losing $1,300 -- since they could have easily sold that car at MSRP. So he started playing games with you to avoid selling you the car.

You don't always get what you pay for, but you never get something you don't pay for. The $1,300 you were not going to pay is the money that would (perhaps) have gotten you the kind of treatment you finally got when you did pay it to a different dealer. -- But it's too bad the first dealer was not up front about it: "We'll sell you a car for $1,300 under MSRP but you'll be at the bottom of the list and have to settle for a car that nobody else is willing to pay MSRP for."

11. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 13 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]285614[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. :(

What's funny (well, not really) is that this deal was made BY a manager (he came down when the salesman told him how much I was asking for). Now that they're selling for MSRP or more, yeah, he definitely didn't want to sell it to me for that much. :/ When I go in to get my money back, I'll be sure to give them a piece of my mind (even though I know they don't care).