1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need door lock help AGAIN

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by dpframing, Jan 25, 2010.

1. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    My driver's side rear door of my '05 Prius would not power lock or unlock. I took the door panel off and tested the plug connector with a test light . It powered up- so bad actuator. After reading various posts, I learned that the culprit is a $1.00 mini Mabuchi motor. So instead of buying the whole assembly for $136, I decided to take the entire part out, open it up, and just replace the motor. You guys made it sound simple. Instead the part is a clamshell and when I opened it, tension springs flew and 4 different metal linkage parts fell out. I could not put it back together in 100 years.
    So my plan is to get the new motor from eBay (they now sell for $10 EACH), walk the part in to the dealership, and beg for help. Except that the motor has this on it : "VD284Z14 Made in Vietnam." Will the Mabuchi FC280-PC 22125 work? And any clues on how to put the linkage back together?

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You still have the option of buying the whole assembly for $136. :p

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    toyota or another 136... hmm.. sell parts of the broken one and replace the whole thing... toyota likes to charge for actual labor.. something like 50 an hour minimal.

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Instead the part is a clamshell and when I opened it, tension springs flew and 4 different metal linkage parts fell out. I could not put it back together in 100 years.
    So my plan is to get the new motor from eBay (they now sell for $10 EACH), walk the part in to the dealership, and beg for help. Except that the motor has this on it : "VD284Z14 Made in Vietnam." Will the Mabuchi FC280-PC 22125 work? And any clues on how to put the linkage back together?[/QUOTE]

So you think the dealership will put together your used parts, in a part that may have been pressed together in a factory? I don't really know, just doubt it, I would just buy a used one , e.g. make on offer on this ebay one ~30 to 40.00 is would I would offer for used.

2005 07 TOYOTA PRIUS R/F DOOR LATCH LOCK ACTUATOR #Z-8 : eBay Motors (item 400074151867 end time Feb-15-10 16:07:16 PST)
    _Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d264717bb

I did a search for threads about repairing this and couldn't find them, if someone has fixed this simply with a replacement motor,.....

5. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the reply. I saw this part on eBay before I posted, but it is for the passenger side. I found the driver's side door lock on the internet from some yard in Alabama, but the guy wants $100 for it. I might have to bite.

So you think the dealership will put together your used parts, in a part that may have been pressed together in a factory? I don't really know, just doubt it, I would just buy a used one , e.g. make on offer on this ebay one ~30 to 40.00 is would I would offer for used.

2005 07 TOYOTA PRIUS R/F DOOR LATCH LOCK ACTUATOR #Z-8 : eBay Motors (item 400074151867 end time Feb-15-10 16:07:16 PST)
    _Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item5d264717bb

I did a search for threads about repairing this and couldn't find them, if someone has fixed this simply with a replacement motor,.....[/QUOTE]