1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Facts Before Purchasing new Tires/Wheels

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Paul58, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Before I get spammed, I did search for the answer, but it appears the majority of the information I found dealt with 17" rims and I'm looking at a set of 16" rims...

Anyway, with that out of the way, does anyone know the following specs for the OEM 2010 15" Rims?

Offset?
    Backspacing?
    Weight?

The rims I'm looking at have the following specs:

Offset: 42mm
    Backspacing: 5.66"
    Weight: 18.4 lbs

I don't really understand offset and backspacing, but the guy at Tire Rack said the offset range was 35mm to 50mm. I found a set I really liked but they had an offset of 35mm and the guy said they might rub. can anyone education me on this and provide a recommended offset/backspacing?

I want to fit them with a set of four Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires, but want to go with a 215/55-16 instead of the recommended 205/55-16, but want to ensure there won't be any clearance issues or other problems.

Lastly, can anyone share their experience with purchasing a Tire/Wheel combo from Tire Rack? I want to get the tires and wheels already mounted and balanced with the TPM sensors installed so all I have to do is pull the OEM's and put the new ones on the car. It's scary when you're looking a $1K plus and the unknow of how it will fit... Thanks...

2. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow76 views and no one knows the offset, backspacing and weight of the 2010 15" wheels? I thought for sure someone here would have this information!

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Paul, I know some people are just real leechers. No posts, no help, no respect. "I just want a little respect!" or something like that.

Anyways, give these guys a call, tell them what car you have and they can look up the ranges of acceptable sizes and offsets for you. I dont know if they know the OEM specs, but having that range might be more useful to you. These guys are a pleasure to talk to.

More Japan: 310 782 0040

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply! The folks at Tire Rack were helpful and said the offset range was 35mm to 50mm, but did not know the offset of the oEM wheels. Before I order I want to know the offset of the stock wheels so I have an idea of how the tires and wheel will sit in the wheel wells. The last thing I want to to shell out $1K+ and have it look like one of those cars that have the tires sticking out 3" past the edge of the wheel well! I don't really care about having them line up exactly with the edge of the fender, and I don't plan on lowering the car, I just want a better looking set of wheels and figure I'd go up one size and possibly get a bit wider tire in the process. I'll give these guys a call tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks again...

5. TunerzineJason

TunerzineJason Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The stock Prius wheels are 15x6.0-inch with a +45mm offset.

Hope that helps.

6. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes that does help, do you know the weight too? Thanks...

7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do an ebay search for "5x100 16x7" and you'll find a bunch of nice looking wheels to choose from. I attached a few examples.

The +35 offset is used mostly on Volkswagens and it will stick out a little too much on the Prius. You're better off with between +40 and +50.

I've heard the stock 15" alloys weigh a little under 20 lbs and the 17" are a little over 22 lbs. You might be able to find some of the aftermarket weights here:

Wheel Weights Specs Guide

On the tires just keep in mind that the wider ones usually hurt fuel economy. The 205/55/16 found on Corollas should be a pretty good fit and have a nice ride. You can also search on eBay for "Corolla wheels" for more options. The stock Corolla alloys are 16x6.5.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. andino

andino Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^^ actually 35mm offset would be perfect up front with a 16x7 wheel and a little too sunken in for the rears. At least for my tastes, those would be pretty conservative. I'm planning to run some wheels that sit really flush though

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Depends on the design of the rim. If it's a deep dish I'd go with a lower offset.

10. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I found a sale on eBay for an OEM 15" wheel and the seller lists the offset as 45. The set I'm looking at are 42, so they should work. Thanks evpv for the eBay suggestion. I did see a nice set of Corolla OEM 16: wheels with TPMS and Goodyear tires for about $600, but it was local pick-up in South FL. I may PM him and ask about shipping...

11. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm guessing the OP doesn't want to go hellaflush and roll fenders etc.

12. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is true, I'm trying to stay as close to stock as possible, maybe going a bit lighter, but otherwise wanting a better look and ride with out rubbing or any other modification.

I still wish I knew the weight of the stock rim, I found the stock tire weighs 19 lbs, the 205/55-16 Fuel Max are 18 lbs.

13. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would like to suggest that, when you get the new rims, perhaps you can weigh the stock ones and post the information back. Then it will be searchable for the next interested wheel/tire swapper. I have removed my hubcaps, like you, but would like to get new rims when it is time to replace the tires.

14. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did! I pulled one tire and weighed it on a calibrated scale my wife uses for her job, one tire wheel combo minus the hubcap is 34.2 lbs!

The tire/wheel combo I'm looking at should be 37 lbs minus the balance weights and TPMS sensor. They may add .2 lbs at the most...