1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need guidance replacing valve cover gasket on 01 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Starr1980, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Starr1980

Starr1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I have been losing acceleration in my 01 Prius. I know the valve cover gasket is bad because I already replaced the spark plugs from 2 severe misfires. All was fine for a week then my car started stalling out & showing the triangle of death plus the hybrid system code the red car with exclamation point through it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    You're going to want to pull the error codes to get a starting point. Generic code readers won't read them, though, so you'll either have to take it someplace that can do Toyota diagnostics (avoid dealers) or acquire/borrow a reader. If you're interested in acquisition, then just search here for getting a Techstream. You can also find cheap bluetooth dongles for OBDII and look for the Dr. Prius app (free for Gen 1) to install on your phone. That at least gives you access to the HV battery data and codes - but it is limited to that. Not a substitute for a Techstream.

Starr1980 likes this.