1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help 2012 Model Three or 2011 Model Three

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by skm009, Jan 25, 2012.

1. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Appreciate your thoughts on this. I am being quoted $500 difference between 2011 Prius III with navigation and 2012 Prius III( Navigation comes included in 2012 III). The 2011 being $500 more expensive because the overall MSRP of 2011 is $900 more than the 2012, because Toyota cut back on the JBL music system in 2012 Prius III that was coming standard in 2011 Prius III.

I am in a dilemma. Please share your thoughts.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the '12. You would be getting

3 door Smart key - Nice to have when arriving with grocery cart, also don't have to grab key to open for passenger
    Has the upgraded intake manifold - see 'Cold start knock' TS-B
    Has the newer right rear engine mount
    Maybe the USB interface / music searching is quicker - heard probs that '11 is little slow searching through music on iPod. Check this

Maybe don't trip too much on lack of JBL. Audio can be upgraded.
    Entune capability if you're interested

Here's another tidbit ... the right rear port window of 2012 has defroster or radio antenna (?) built in .. I think this is biggest reason to get it :)

1 person likes this.
  3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I took a picture of that while at the Press Event for the 2012 Prius in SF last September. But I was told by someone from Toyota it was an antenna to help improve radio reception. Maybe they just didn't know, was it listed as a defroster in literature somewhere cycle?

[​IMG]

I'd say got with the 2012 as well.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point, not sure what they're for.

5. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Always get the newer car whenever they are priced the same [or close to it].

It may seem to make little difference today, but by 2015 it will make the difference between a 3 year old car and a 4 year old car.

6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you like the looks of the front end better on either the 2011 or 2012? They are different. I like the looks of the refresh for the 2012 (for what its worth).

Is the difference in stereo quality a deciding issue? If not, you may choose to ignore it.

7. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All things being equal -- the newer car is a year newer in depreciation - so it is the way to go.

Did you price out an 2011 "four" with the discounts and the zero finance? They had some good deals on the 2011's.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I googled and found a thread in a Highlander forum started by someone who thought the grids on the back side windows were a defroster but they don't seem to be work. Someone replied they're radio antennas.

9. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2012 does not have any significant improvements for me. I will be losing the better stereo but will also be paying less for a 2012. My only concern is that if the 2012 basic stereo is crappy then I will curse myself sitting in traffic 2 hours daily.

10. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There aren't many 2011 fours or three with navs in my area. One can get a better discount on 2011 twos right now.

11. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IF that does happen and you wish the stereo was better. Upgrade it to something better. Win imo.

I am in the same problemo as you... I've been waiting for the 2012's and now I am second guessing whether I should get an 11 to save some cash.

I think it depends on how long you want to keep the car. 4-5 years get a 12. Anything longer an 11 might be better? I still haven't decided how long i want to keep mine... =/ But my current car I have kept for 10+ years. lol

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll just have to listen for yourself. But, we know the '12 has the improved intake manifold and engine mount and who knows what else for parts. You ought to check the iPod interface in each, see which one is better at searching through your tunes.

I'll bring a good CD soon and have listen in a '12 Two.

13. skm009

skm009 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any thoughts on the bigger grill opening in the 2012 Prius leading to poor mileage in cold winter weather compared to the 2011 Prius?

14. yeldogt

yeldogt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm surprised about the lack of "four" models -- they had a lot of them 10 days ago.

We will end up keeping this car for a long time - company car - so with the discounted financing I went with the "five". I did not want the hassle of the wheel covers and the headlights/ fogs sounded like a good idea - the package is overpriced for what it is -- but I did get over 2k off of the car and the financing saved me another $2500.00 over the 2.9 percent offered on another car I was looking at ........ they were not offering anything on the 12's -- The power seat was not worth 5k

Make sure you listen to the audio system -- even the upgraded system is not all that great.

1 person likes this.
  15. jaredy

jaredy Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I am wondering how the softex feels like, compared to genuine leather. :confused:

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

It has much more grip than leather, in that you don't slide around on it as easy. It also feels softer than the leather in my 2010.

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 2012 is better in all respects save these and ADMITTEDLY they are both subjective and personal and purely up to interpretation.

I like the front end on the 2011's better. IMO the 2012's look too gaping "Puffer Fish" and too plastic...I mean I could easily live with it, and learn to like it, but I like the 2011 front end better.

The other issue? Do you like the idea of a "silent" Prius or the VPNS? Again? Whether you care or this is a benefit or not? Purely up to the individual.

Given all the other upgrades...if I'm talking $500...I'd go with the 2012.

1 person likes this.
  18. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    JBL and Nav were the #1 factors for me, I didn't want to mess with having to find a system to upgrade the car with, so that was why I went with the Prius 3 2011 model, and Nav for Navi and bluetooth music streaming capability.

The only pros to the 2012 for me personally - like others mentioned - it has the upgraded intake manifold and engine mount (although I wouldn't be too concerned about that anyway), and the tail lights look cooler.

Honestly, this may not bother you, but the 2012 center console was re-designed to where the 2nd cup holder is showing, where as before the center console lid could retract over the second holder. It is important to me because I always rest my elbow right there, and if there was a cup-holder there it would be uncomfortable and I would have no where to rest my elbow - (the issue was when you opened the console by sliding it back to use the cupholder, if you had anyone sitting in the middle seat in the back, it would protrude into their 'personal space'). I don't have kids and rarely have 5 passengers where I would also be using the second cupholder, so to me I prefer having the cup-holder hidden and being able to rest my right elbow comfortably during "lazy" driving.

This console comfort + JBL in a Prius 3 (and not having to upgrade to a Prius 4 in 2012 models to get JBL) meant 2011 was a better choice for me. Also I could care less about entune, depending on how important this is to you and what type of phone you have - it's not important to me, because my iPhone has all of those features (GasBuddy for gas, WeatherChannel app on iPhone) that Entune tries to capitalize on, and I can easily stream Pandora or any other app over Bluetooth from my iPhone and it shows Title, Artist, etc anyway - whether it's music on my iPod, or streaming from Pandora or TuneIn Radio app. It's personal preference, but I also wouldn't want to have to pay monthly to keep Entune after 3 years were up.

Good luck friend!!

1 person likes this.
  19. prominence

prominence Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    P.S. Don't let them scam you into paying $500 more for a 2011 if you do end up wanting the 2011 just because it has "higher features" than the 2012. It's also 1 year older so there's leverage for you from the fact that they're stuck with an older car than the newer year. Check out TrueCar and Edmunds "true value" prices, and also push them on the fact that it is a 2011 and most people will want 2012s anyway.

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can have the sound system upgraded. I had a listen the '12 Three sound system. See interior pics thread, post 3 for my opinion.