1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help: 2016 Prius upgrade package or 2016 Honda Civic EX-t

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by AshleyTPriusv, Mar 6, 2016.

1. AshleyTPriusv

AshleyTPriusv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius upgrade package MSRP is $1,585 high then the Honda, in total the Prius costs $2,431.46 more then the Honda (all cash pricing) The Prius will cost $57.06 more per month on payments then the Honda and with a $15,000 down payment the Prius will cost $50.34 more per month. I'll be getting insurance quotes tomorrow to compare the cost difference in insurance payments.

I'll be drive 20km 5 days (work) plus the extra 20-60kmh if I'm going out shopping/ browsing/ movies/ just driving 2-4x a week all around town. I will be going on a monthly road trip which is 360km (combined 180km each way not including driving around while I'm there) max distance I'll go on trip 1000km (500k each way not including driving around well I'm there). In TOTAL I'll be driving 16,000km (9,941.9 miles) a year minimum. I don't see myself going more then 20,000km (12,427.4 miles) a year.

what would you buy in my driving situation? Over 5-10 years would I get my money back by driving the Prius? I plan on keeping it till it starts giving up on me (I'll use it as a second car once I have kids)

#1 AshleyTPriusv, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Zojja

Zojja Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I drive much less than you but my interest was more just overall less fuel consumption than monetary savings. I would say, drive both cars, see how you like them. There are so many things that go into overall lifetime cost of a car beyond gas and many of them you won't know although Honda and Toyota tend to have good reliability. I'm not sure how much gas prices are in Canada compared to the US, but if gas prices shoot up in the next few years or if it stays low, that would obviously effect your total cost. I would say it seems like the cost difference really is minimal so I'd buy what you like if you are only going based on cost.

Another thing you could do is haggle with the Toyota dealer and say you could buy the Civic for X price and you want the Prius for the same price and see what happens.