1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help A.S.A.P Please dealer issues!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by padillde, Jan 21, 2008.

1. padillde

padillde New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I recently purchased a 2008 prius#2. I already put about 1500 miles and its been about three weeks. The dealer was supposed to install an autodimming mirror with homelink in the car. I made it known that this was an important accessory for me. I do alot of night driving and with all those blinding HID lights out there, its nolonger an accessory but a neccesity. Now the dealer told me they donot have that as an accesory anymore as of the 2006 model. How can that be, since i've seen several Prii on the lot with them. The dealer said they will try to get a 2006 autodimming rearview and install it in my 2008..... if it is compatable. If not they told me they will refund the difference......BUT I'm not sure I want a 2006 part on my 2008. I'm not even sure if it will be new. Does anyone know if I can return my prius and exchange it for one with autodimming from the lot. They are on Package #3 and will pay for the upgrade. Like I said...,IT is very important to be. Secondly are there any differences in the autodimming rearview mirrors from these years in case they try to pull a fast one on me. I know I might look as picky and trivial, but its like going back to manual windows after having power windows for over a decade. I bought the car in New Jersey, and i could use some help!!!!!!!!

2. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't know if it's ever been available as an "accessory." It's part of certain "packages" but I don't think can be dealer-added individually without upgrading package. That said, I think it's a fairly minor issue to self-install or have someone else after-market install it. You'll probably pay less for it if you buy it yourself too!

3. JenGwen323

JenGwen323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I know my 07 package 6 has it. I found the link below, which states that they are available on package 3 and up. I don't know why the dealer would have sold you a #2, when you really needed a #3.

There are after market options available. Good luck.

Toyota Prius - 2008 Options & Packages

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's part of a package. He probably didn't have a car with that package to sell you so he sold you what he had and gave you a song and dance about installing it later.

He lied to make a sale.

If it was a salesman, go over his head to the owner and raise hell.

If it was the owner, go over his head to Toyota, but that isn't going to do much good.

5. padillde

padillde New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    it looks like i might not be able to get the rearview...sooo does anyone know if i can return my current prius for one with the pakage I need. Would there be any penalties, or is it on the dealer and it should just cost me the difference btween the packages. again, i bought the car in New Jersye....any input will be greatly appreciated.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After three weeks and 1500 miles they are not going to let your just trade cars while paying the difference in packages. The min. you drove your car off the lot it depreciated. It's now a used car. You'd have to trade it in as a used car with suitable depreciation and then buy the car with the package you want as a new car. That's going to be several thousand dollars.

They screwed you over.

Live and learn. Next time don't buy it unless it has everything you need. If not, move on. And do your homework first.

And make them give you back the money you paid for this "upgrade" that isn't going to happen.

7. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Brandsport sells the mirror for $280 but they show them only for2004-2006 and Excludes models equipped with factory Curtain Side Airbag Option.

Toyota Prius Rear View Mirror - Brandsport.com

I don't know what the difference is with the 2007 & 2008.

If the dealer will get a new one and install it what is the problem?

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    First of all the secret to getting what you need out of dealerships is to be reasonable and to be firm and unwaivering in what you are asking for.

He told you he would get a mirror and install it and thats what he's going to do.

Its really not a big deal. The mirror is not even made by Toyota, its made by a company called "Gentex" and you can buy the exact same mirror directly from Gentex and they're available all the time on eBay. The wiring harness is probably there already so all that should need to be done is to plug it in.

Click this link:

Gentex Corporation :: Automotive :: PLO :: Interior Mirrors

The mirror you want is the 6th mirror down, the Homelink Mirror. That is the mirror that Toyota uses on the Prius.

Here's the company that sells them:

Auto-Dimming Mirrors with HomeLink®

You can even get one with the outside temp and compass if you want, then yours will be better than anything OEM from Toyota. Its $260 without the compass, $300 with the compass, and $400 with the compass and temp. I'd buy the one with the compass personally, especially if you don't have nav.

Can't get them to install it? Install it yourself!

Gentex Auto Dimming Mirror Installation Instructions

Turning in the car is not a solution. At this point its a used car, and they'll do that for you but you'd have to do it as a trade-in and that will cost you thousands of dollars.

9. PRIUS007

PRIUS007 James Bond -007

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As others have stated, the last thing you want to do is trade that car back in for a different one now. Figure about a 15% minimum hit from MSRP to trade it backp in. They won't do a 'swap'.

Check out this site, they look to be close to the factory mirror but include a compass and temp. Get your money back from them, based on what you've described, they don't deserve any more of your business. Be sure to mention this on your 'dealer satisfation survey' from Toyota.

-Auto Dimming Mirrors-

10. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Our local dealer has a 30-day warranty period where they will take back any new car and apply what you paid towards a different new car.
    It is possible that there would also be a mileage limit, but I don't recall that.

It cannot hurt to ask.

11. DeekoPete

DeekoPete New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Amen to that. It sounds to me like they just wanted the sale and were willing to do anything to get it. I would get the money, but the part and have it installed by someone else. Regardless, I'd never go back to that dealer.

12. Springtime

Springtime Member

13. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you have it in writing as part of the purchase documents, or some writing before the sale, (look out for limiting language in the writing that says stuff like "if possible" "if available" or the like...) that the delear was to install the homelink mirror.

If you have a writing tell him to install a 2008 homelink mirror or you will be returning the car and expect a full refund. Don't take any guff from these swine either about it. Have a number for Toyota corporate with you and call them right in front of him, that's always fun.

But remember have it in wrinting or you'r eprobably screwed.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    According to both the 04 and 05 brochures, the Auto-dimming electrochromatic rearview mirror with HomeLink universal transceiver was available both as part of a package and as an individual accessory during those model years. However, it was not recommended that dealers install the accessory version on cars equipped with curtain airbags because the wiring ran up the pillars where the air curtains are located.

15. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't have a 2008 brochure but the auto dimming mirror with Homelink was available as an accessory in the 2007 brochure. I agree with Devil's Advocate that you will need the mirror listed in the sales document to be able to take action. You may also want to file a complaint with the Consumer Affairs Office in the dealer's county.

There are two dealers who sell parts over the internet. Check their prices for the mirror.

16. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If no success with the dealer, have them refund the difference and use the gentex link mentioned above. much less money and easily self installed.

17. hefaust

hefaust New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately, your dealer is correct in the fact that you can't get a Prius autodimming mirror with homelink. As a dealership service manager, I tried to no avail.

However, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and skinning the cat proved to be a better situation. One of my technicians had an extra Scion Tc autodimming mirror with homelink that he wanted me to try in my '08 Prius. Having nothing to lose, I let him install it.

Talk about pleased! This mirror and the solution are more than I could have asked for. The autodimming and homelink work perfectly! In addition, there's a handy map light built into the mirror. An even cooler bonus is the LED "mood" light that casts either an amber, blue, or white light over the center console and lower dashboard while driving at night. It's totally unobrusive and adds an ambience to night driving. You can even set it to change colors as you're driving. Personally, I like the amber light while jamming to the latest incarnation from Dream Theater via my Ipod.

So, go to your dealer and order a Scion Tc self-dimming mirror with homelink and have their most talented Prius technician install it for you. It's not cheap ($450.00 + labor). You might be able to find one at a salvage yard, as there are pleanty of Scion Tc's that met an untimely demise due to the driving practices of their demographically (young and reckless) profiled former owners.

Again, you'll be delighted with that mirror. And it's much cheaper than trading in your Prius.

Erick Faust
    Asst. Service Manager
    O'Brien Toyota/Scion
    Indianapolis, IN

18. padillde

padillde New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    thank you all for your advise. I'm still getting the run around by the dealer, but they said they would have an answer to my problem tom. Good thing the mirror is in writing. Lets see what happens, I'll let you all know the outcome.... Wish me luck.

19. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I bought a camry with the auto mirror and compass, and had an Infiniti with it. Now I have the 2007 Prius pkg #2 without the auto mirror. I much prefer moving my hand to the dimming tab on the standard mirror, when and how I want for the conditions. I do remember the auto mirror was offered as a dealer installed accessory.

20. blazer_5154

blazer_5154 Heh, you said "member"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    How do you change the colors of the map light??? My SO has a tC with the autodimming mirror and hers is just plain amber. She had seen somewhere that other colors were available, but I thought they were separate units.