1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help: Battery and warranty Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Raghav, May 28, 2013.

1. Raghav

Raghav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a 2007 Prius - i am second owner. When I purchased the car around 6 months back, the battery used to stay @7/8th capacity (7 bars out of 8 in the battery indicator on info screen) showing green most of time. From past 8-10 weeks, it is around 6/8th capacity most of the time, and drops to 5/8th and 4/8th capacity now and then. When I am driving inside city with lot of braking, it goes up 7/8th, but returns to 6/8th soon.

Mileage is around 96k now. I live in Massachusetts. Am I still covered under warranty for battery? Can I claim warranty for this condition? Is warranty upto 100k or 150k in mass? How much will battery cost?

Thanks in advance.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Yes.
    No, You must get a OBD2 code warning from the Battery ECU before a dealer will determine that your HV battery has failed (From your description it hasn't failed yet).
    150k, but where was your Prius first purchased? That will determine if you still have a 150k mile/15 year warranty.
    A new battery from a good dealer (there are many dealers that would charge more) is $3500 installed. You can also get a rebuilt battery installed for just over $2000, or a salvaged battery installed for about $1200

JeffD

3. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do not think u have a problem with your HV battery.

kenoarto likes this.
  4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Battery SHOULD be in the middle of the chart (aka 4/8ths). Something is wrong when it it is consistently 7/8 charge.

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

You are worrying too much. The battery is behaving normally. 6 months ago (in the winter) you probably used the heater quite a bit which kept your battery charged green. Heat = waste. Now you are probably running without heat and maybe even AC so the battery will stay in the happy zone of blue bars.

There is nothing wrong with your car, just drive it.

cwerdna likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HaroldW likes this.
  7. Raghav

Raghav Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A