1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help brainstorming

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Jul 3, 2007.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our local Humane Society, which is a no-kill facility, has a sudden influx of cats and kittens that must have homes, as they are running out of space. Although I am at this time not financially able to givr any money or take on another cat, I want to do something.

Here's a big concern I have -- the shelter does not test cats for Felive AIDS. I am painfully aware of this, because I adopted a kitty that was infected without knowing it. She seemed healthy, but when she was a year old, she suddenly got very ill and died quickly. Fortunately, my other cat is not infected.

Testing is expensive (about $75), and it is necessary to segregate cats who have not been tested and that have tested positive. I thought I was fairly well informed about cat ownership, but I had no idea Feline AIDS existed.

I'd like to help the Humane Society in any way I can. I'm willing to contact vets and ask them to donate testing services or at least offer them at a reduced rate. As far as I know, this shelter doesn't have regular adopt days at local pet stores, and I'd be willing to help get that started.

I know my first step is to contact the director of the shelter, and unfortunately, when I tried to volunteer there, we got off to a very sour note. They wanted me to walk big dogs, and I tried, but because of COPD, I physically could not do that. I offered to clean cages, care for cats, or anything else that I was physically capable of doing, but the told me "You can walk dogs, or you can do nothing. The director actually sent another volunteer to deliver this message. Needless to say, I was pissed.

But I'm willing to let bygones be bygones, because I really want to do something to help with their current crisis.

What I'm looking for is creative ideas of how I might offer the help that I can. Hope you can help!

Peace --

Marjorie.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that rather than trying to figure out ways you might be able to help, your first step is to figure out why the director is so obstinate that she won't accept the fact that you cannot walk big dogs. If the problem is the director herself, there might be nothing you can do but look for another facility to volunteer at. But if the problem was that one of you made a comment that the other took offense to, and the director got angry, then my suggestion would be to wait a week and then go back and apologize (even if it was not your fault) and ask if you can start over, explaining that you'd like to help out any way that you are physically able to. However, if the personality conflict is deep enough and strong enough, it might not be worth it. Good luck.

3. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jul 3 2007, 06:49 AM) [snapback]472152[/snapback]</div>
    I think you may be wasting your time trying to work with someone that has that attitude about volunteers.

Let's see.... Free help, willing to work on anything able to do, anytime needed. No, let's give them a shitty attitude so they never come back. Don't see much chance of success there.

4. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

About testing for feline AIDS (which has another name I can't quite remember): I give all my cats vaccinations for this. I understand that the vaccinations will make them test positive for the disease if they wind up in a shelter, and that it will cause them to be euthanized.

I also understand that the majority of feral cats, at least in this part of the country, are probably infected.

Not sure that this contributes anything to your dilemma.

You have a beautiful heart. Maybe you need to volunteer at another facility.

There are so many animals that need help.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I too think you need to volunteer your time at another facility.

I find it highly irresponsible that the shelter you wish to work with 1. does not test their cats for Feline AIDS, 2 does not vaccinate the cats and 3. does not inform the owners so they can have the cats tested and vaccinated on their own dime. To me this is borderline abuse in itself and if there was an agency to report them to *I* would. I know you wouldn't.

You are volunteering your time. No one should be treated rudely. Not a paid employee and certainly not a volunteer. When I deal with volunteers I gear the task to their ability. I work in a middle school library and one of my volunteers is already trained on our computer system so I have her do that. When her Mom comes with her I have her sit at a table and do a very low stress job. Her mother is getting on in years. She can't be on her feet and she can't be carrying books. And I treat all of my volunteers with courtesy.

I'm sure there are plenty of shelters that would welcome whatever hours and whatever tasks you can volunteer to do. I would think any of them would jump at the chance to have someone clean cages.

And coming back to the responsibility thing...I think the director was highly irresponsible to suggest you walk big dogs. That is an accident waiting to happen. I really question the standard operating procedures of this shelter.

6. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(formerVWdriver @ Jul 3 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]472472[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't realize there was a vaccination. If indeed it makes them test positive, my good intentions would be disasterous. Thanks for this information.

I got my sweetheart cat Jasper at a shelter about 1 1/2 hours from here. I found them on Petfinder.com. They do test all their cats, and they segregate them until they have a negative result. I hadn't really thought about what they did with the ones that tested positive. MY feelings are mixed about this -- having seen how the kitty I lost suffered, part of me wishes she had been euthanized before she got so sick. But if vaccinated cats test positive when they actually aren't, well, that's a different story. I don't know what the answer is.

7. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jul 3 2007, 05:08 PM) [snapback]472495[/snapback]</div>
    Here's what it said on the Pet Place web site about cat AIDS (FIV):
    A vaccine has recently become available to help reduce the risk of your cat acquiring FIV. In addition to vaccination, eliminating interactions with infected cats and stopping your cat from fighting greatly helps reduce the risk. Keeping your cat indoors and neutering males are probably the most important keys to prevention.

FIV-infected cats should be isolated from cats that do not carry the virus. They should be quarantined to a separate area in a household away from other cats and should have no contact with FIV-negative cats. All bedding, food and water dishes, litter pans and toys should be disinfected. They should not be shared among cats that are infected and cats that are not.

All cats in the household should be tested for FIV. Quarantine all FIV-negative cats to one area. Retest these cats in three months. If they are negative at that time, they are considered free of FIV. Cats are considered free of infection when two negative test results separated by three months have been obtained. Though you want the new cat to be a member of the household as soon as possible, it is important to observe the quarantine period.

Retest all FIV-positive cats. Cats that test negative for FIV after having testing positive on the first test should remain isolated. Re-testing should be carried out after three additional months.

Kittens should not be allowed to nurse if their mothers are infected because the virus can be passed through the milk.

Please note: Positive titers to FIV can occur from some vaccinations. This can produce a positive test result. If your cat tests positive to FIV and is NOT sick, please determine if your cat has been vaccinated recently. Titers to the vaccine can occur for up to 13 months after vaccination.

8. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 3 2007, 03:56 PM) [snapback]472486[/snapback]</div>
    You make some very good points. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town.

Are you a school librarian? I was a regional librarian working with public libraries in 10 counties in western KY. I know librarians generally treat volunteers well, that is unless they are just stupid. Most of the libraries with which I worked relied heavily on volunteers.

Not that this excuses the Humane Society director's behavior, but they have almost no paid staff, and their work force is primarily made up of jail inmates who aren't particularly happy to be there. I'm sure supervising them is a lot different from those who actually choose to be there.

Thanks for your insights.

Peace --

Marjorie.

9. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Hi Marjorie,

I'm sorry your shelter director is so obnoxious to volunteers. Are there any non-profit humane societies around you that you could contact? You may have better luck there. Most city shelters are in a tough position to balance between intake and adoptions, especially at this time of year when everyone is getting litters in. Please go to some reputable veterinary sites and get the real deal regarding FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus) and FELV (Feline Leukemia Virus). The modes of transmission are vastly different and the potential outcomes depend on your having a good understanding of each disease. Our all-volunteer organization currently has cats that have both of these diseases. Together they comprise about 3-7% of the feline population according to statistics with many false positives (www.alleycat.org), whether they are feral or domestic. FIV is spread thru deep bite wounds and mating (blood), whereas FELV is spread through mutual grooming and shared food dishes (saliva). We currently have two siblings where one tested FIV+ and the other one and the mom tested FIV-, and another litter that was also split 3 positive and one negative for FELV. There are a lot of websites that have incorrect information out there. A great website is www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc (feline health care). Don't give up on volunteering. This year we celebrate our 25th anniversary since we were formed, and the 90th birthday of our founder who is now "retired" from the ranks. There is so much need out there, and a lot of burnout, so why you were not welcomed with open arms I cannot fathom. Feel free to PM me if you need more specifics, and best of luck.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jul 3 2007, 04:21 PM) [snapback]472512[/snapback]</div>
    Are you talking about the Owensboro-Daviess Humane Socitey, Saving Paws Rescue or Animal Control of Owensboro?

There are more than 1 animal organizations in Owensboro.

Owensboro-Daviess County Humane Society
    350 N Chestnut Grove Rd,
    P.O. Box 1075
    owensboro, Kentucky 42302
    Phone: 270-685-1737
    (502) 264-0800
    Email: [email protected]

There are two different phone numbers and area codes for this. There may be two different locations. If it's this humane society you're having issues with, try calling the other location.

Saving Paws of Animal Rescue
    Owensboro, KY 42301
    (270) 684-4787

Humane Society
    (270) 302-6813
    3101 W 2nd St Owensboro, KY

You could also sign up with other people and form your own rescue. Cat lovers rescue Owensboro Maybe meet up with Julia, Trixie and Serena

Or maybe find something close to Owensboro:
    Animal rescue organizations in Kentucky

Animal Welfare Groups

Shelter Index

You also might consider going across the river to Indiana.