1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help: Broke 2010 Prius Rear Spoiler

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by toyotatrd, Mar 26, 2011.

1. toyotatrd

toyotatrd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well this morning my wife was backing up and she forgot the door was already up and she hit the garage door opener again and she backed up and has pretty much mangled the rear spoiler. THere are scratch marks everywhere and broken chips out in many places. Anyone have an idea on how I can take this thing off and put another one on? I am just goign to buy a new spoiler, but I don't want to pay $100... just so Toyota can put it on. Any ideas?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no idea, but if it makes you and the missus feel any better, i have done this 3 times in reverse. i open the hatch, and forget about it. then, i open the garage door and the arm that connects the opener to the door catches the top edge of the spoiler and whammo! ugh.

3. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Havn't looked up the price but I SERIOUSLY DOUBT the spoiler, if oem, is only $100.

4. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius

I think op was talking about the cost of labor to have it installed by Toyota, but you're right... the price of the new spoiler would be closer to the $450 range, and it might need clips or the third brake light if it got damaged too.

Roland.

5. mickey513

mickey513 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I read it wrong.

6. SlowTurd

SlowTurd I LIKE PRIUS'S

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, but does anybody know how to remove the old one and install the new? and can he order it in his color, or will he have to get it painted? can he paint it himself and save another hundred bucks?

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can have any color you want--as long as it is black.

Perhaps it is worth trying to patch, fill & touch up.

9. Hokeysmoke

Hokeysmoke Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm not a mechanic but it looks like in the Service Manual that it is held on with 5 nuts and comes off in one unit (with a dangling cable from the brake light). I think a more experienced person could chime in.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, it's pretty much mangled. would a body shop be able to fix it cheaper than buying and installing a new one?

11. geethanr

geethanr New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Folks,

New to this forum. My wife did the same thing. Backed our Prius II out of the garage with rear hatch open and broke the black spoiler. I disconnected the brake cable. The spoiler looks good except for the broken brackets. Any suggestions on replacing it or trying to glue it back on.

Thanks,

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If it is a clean break(s), I would try some strong epoxy. Never hurts to try.

If that doesn't work, buy at a place like parts.com (mentioned earlier) and save about 50%.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a thread on repair:

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...363-gen-iii-spoiler-removal-w-photos-how.html

(to find, Google: "Priuschat devil clips")

We did a minor chew-up on ours, maybe a week after purchase: the garage door cleared the raised hatch when open, but if you closed the garage door it had a low hanging arm that, well...: didn't clear.

I continue to have "oh s**t" moments, latest on a BC Ferry: flip the hatch, looked up, had missed some ceiling beam by maybe 1 inch, LOL.

Just in case anyone from Toyota is reading: this thing should be made out of flexible rubber, and have an easy clip-on system, something that can hinge away if impacted, kind of like sideview mirrors. As-is, it is an expensive "glass jaw".

ckk527 likes this.
  14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just for the heck of it I took mine off:

You need to remove the 2 lower plastic panels on the hatch lid: the bottom one, and the smaller one directly behind the spoiler. There might be a way to avoid taking the big lower one off, but the two seem to be linked together at their joint, and once the lower one is off the upper one goes fairly easy.

The upper one links to trim pieces running up the sides of the upper window glass: there's a couple of little tabs that need to be pushed out of position a little.

The lower panel has a couple of little slot openings on either side edge: start there, use a trim panel removal tool with masking tape on it, take your time. It takes moderate up-lift, and finally the fasteners will start popping out. I had only one that stayed on the body, instead of coming off with the plastic panel. I removed it with careful prying with a fastener removal tool (they look like a mini crowbar) and re-installed in the plastic panel.

The spoiler is held down with 5 studs, nuts accesable through access holes in the hatch. They seem to have locktite of some sort, a little reluctant to unscrew. Be careful not to drop the nuts into cavities. Then, disconnect the tail light lead.

Then, lower the hatch gently, it'll likely click shut, doesn't matter. You would think you're done then, but you're wrong: there are 2 push-in fasteners still holding the spoiler down, one at each end, maybe 2 inches outboard of each end stud. There's little plastic panels on the end that can be sort of rotated, might help for getting a pry tool in, not sure. I basically just kept lifting up on it, almost getting the center studs out of their holes, and it finally popped free.

Nothing to it :rolleyes:

CR94, Robert Holt and Rebound like this.
  15. Arjay

Arjay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am curious to see what the Prius looks like without the spoiler. Maybe it looks better? Did you take any pic's with it off?
    Cheers from VI!

16. cit1991

cit1991 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I broke mine a while back. It's easy to replace, assuming you can handle a socket wrench at all.

Pop off the interior plastic panels.
    There are 5 nuts that hold the spoiler on, accessible from behind the panels.
    Don't drop the nuts and let them slide down inside the hatch sheet metal.
    Once on, close the hatch and pop in the two plastic snaps at both ends of the spoiler.

The new one does not come with a new brake light. If you broke the light, order a new one of those too. Forcing the wire through to the access hole is tricky, but just shove it through. The connector is too big for the gap, but the spoiler will flex. You'll see what I mean when you get the new one.

1 hour job, tops.

Robert Holt likes this.
  17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1,

Then cover it with Carbon Fiber look vinyl and he won't even have to paint it. :rockon:

18. katiesdad7

katiesdad7 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Duct tape. It works for NASCAR. :)

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recollect looking at it, spoiler off, and thinking: "I really should take a picture of this...". As far as it got, sorry.

Anyways, it looks like a Prius without it's spoiler. Does not look like a Prius without it's wheel covers, ie: cool in a bare way. There's a big gap between the two glass areas, recessed a bit, with utilitarian ups and downs for strength, as I recall. Also kind of grubby.

20. Arjay

Arjay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK thanks for that Mendel. So it looks 'unfinished' - got it!
    Cheers.