1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help buying first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Greg4324, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Greg4324

Greg4324 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Toyota Dealer has a 2005 base prius with only 35,000 miles. This is my first time buying a hybrid car, I currently drive a truck and I am tired of paying for so much gas. Is there anything specific I should look for when buying the car and should I be concerned that it wasn't driven that much. This was an older couples vehicle who traded it in for a new Prius. Also can I can an aftermarket radio with a aux. input for my ipad and ipod. Thanks in advance for your help.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! i'm not qualified to answer your questions, but i'm sure someone who is will come along. all the best with your purchase!(y)

3. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Are you sure there's no aux input? Look inside the center console, toward the bottom of the front panel, near the second cigarette lighter.

I think the component of the Prius that has the hardest time with being seldom-driven is the 12v aux battery. Ask/check to see if it's been replaced. The Optima Yellow Top is a popular replacement (deep-cycle design) that holds up much better to being seldom-driven and usually has a much longer overall life span than the stock, lead-acid aux battery.

***edit. I've been made aware that most original 12v aux batteries in Prii are AGM...my parents and I just ended up with some of the few flooded ones. Me aculpa.***

One thing to check is to make sure the engine water pump isn't leaking. Look down the left side of the engine, near the bottom, for the large, black water pump pulley. Look inside it for pink, crusty buildup that indicates coolant seepage. The pump can be replaced by a DIYer for about $100, or dealer service departments charge about $390. That's the only repair I've run into so far.

There should have been a few recalls performed, such as the inverter coolant pump replacement, steering shaft, and accel pedal trim (not all cars qualified for all the recalls). Inquire about them.

Otherwise, just check up on the maintenance, test-drive, crawl around and check for leaks, inspect the fluids, check for strange tire wear...the usual stuff.

Good luck!

4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Oh, I guess they didn't get the aux input 'till 2006. You can use an FM modulator or install an aftermarket head unit.

5. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or if you have a cassette deck in it like my 05 does, LOL, you can use a cassette adapter - which is what I use. But only the top end stereos had both a six disk CD changer and cassette deck in them, I think.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    An 05 with 35k, wow. Has it been well cared for? In reality, these vehicles are very reliable. Start it up in the dealer parking lot, leave the heater off, let it run until the engine shuts off automatically. Get in, right after it shuts off, (don't turn on the heater), reset the main display (MFD) and switch to the Energy screen, drive a combination of about 20 minutes of combined city/hwy driving (don't exceed 70mph and maintain a steady speed on the hwy, use cruise if necessary), observe the MFD looking for rapid increase and decrease from full charge to low charge. Ideally, the battery will stay at 5 or 6 blue bars but may go down lower or up higher. The key is, no rapid swings from low to high. After 20 min, switch to "Consumption" screen and not the average mpg. It should be around 38-48 but no less than 35. If you want to drive some more and you got good readings, turn the heater on now and drive. The car may act differently and get different mpg but if it passed the earlier test, your ok.

Other than that, check the oil, look for the right level and brownish/black color (not black). Check all the other fluids. Look it over, ask for maintenance records etc, the same thing as with any other used car.

Good luck

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    "An 05 with 35k, wow. Has it been well cared for?"
    In particular, has it had engine oil and oil filter changes at least annually? Sometimes, very low mileage cars don't get the periodic maintenance they need. A low miles car needs an engine oil change at least annually to get condensation out of the engine crankcase.

8. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I came from a truck to a Prius as well and have NEVER looked back. 15mpg to 50mpg FTW. :D

Rph74 likes this.
  9. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here. The money savings is amazing! I should have bought one of these long ago

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  10. Greg4324

Greg4324 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all the help. Going to test drive it tomorrow. It's been dealer serviced for all maintenance and is listed as a certified pre-owned. They are asking $11,500

usnavystgc likes this.
  11. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best of luck. Hope all goes well and hoping to welcome you to the Prius community.