1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help deciding and comparing 2022 or 2023 AWD if trading in 2018

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by envin, Jan 9, 2023.

1. envin

envin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a grey 2018 Prius two with 53k miles on it. There aren't any issues with the car and my wife and I use it as our 'day trip' car. We frequently like to visit family (3 hours away) or go to Maine for a weekend (we live in Massachusetts).

The car is paid off and there is an aftermarket wireless Apple car play head unit (I love car play, a hard deal breaker for me).

My wife and I are expecting a baby in August, and I just received a promotion at work with a bonus. I put aside 50% of my paycheck into savings (after max 401k), so I do have extra cash. My wife and I talked about it and we definitely don't need a new car but I want a new car -- I like new tech. I have 12k set aside but I can go over it if needed.

I have a $500 deposit at a local Toyota dealer for a Black or Blue 2023 Prius. I wanted to get on the list as soon as I can while I figured out what I want to do.

Wants:
    - Car Play. Wireless is preferable but I know I can get a wireless adapter, and maybe plugging it in isn't the end of the world.
    - Updated multimedia screen -- I like the look of the bigger screen option.
    - AWD. I would really like this based on where we live in New England.
    - Power seats
    - Heated side mirrors (essentially the XLE trim)
    - Auto leveling headlights

Would be nice:
    - I like the panorama of the moonroof in the 2023 prius

Color:
    - Black
    - Sea glass pearl is nice too

Concern:
    - I don't see a 12v port in the back seat of the 2023. My wife is diabetic and we have a car cooler that plugs into this connector. There is one in the front so we can string the adapter from the front to the back but that may be annoying.
    - Amount of space in the Gen 5. I do like how much fits into my 2018. Especially if transporting baby things (stroller).
    - If I go with 2022, it may feel too similar to my 2018.
    - Trade in concern -- Not sure if my aftermarket Alpine head unit reduces my car trade-in value

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Remembering back to when our daughter (now with babies of her own) was in a bassinet / car seat / carrier .... when one's back gets achy and you have to bend down far to hook up / fasten into seat belts - a baby's car seat? Thinking the 2023 head room being 2" lower might be something worth considering. But who knows .... your skeletal / back's health may just last and last. The plugin rav4 on the other hand ... much easier to egress and enter - much less the whole baby seat thing. Good luck with your buying decision!

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tough to decide much of that until the cars arrive