1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help deciding on VAIS vs DICE...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, Sep 8, 2008.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone,

We have a 2008 pack #2 prius (no Nav/1CD/No Bluetooth) that I an trying to integrate an Ipod classic (80gb) into. At this time we are only interested in audio.

Most of the older posts have talked about older DICE and VAIS products and so it is a little hard to decide between the two companies.

I am interested in comparing the SL2i from VAIS to the DICE Silverline
    The interface of the VAIS seems a little nicer on the MFD than the interface of DICE

Here is the VAIS http://www.vaistech.com/images/prius06_mp3.jpg
    Here is the DICE DICE Store: DICE iPod Integration Kit for Toyota, Lexus and Scion
    Click on images to see a screen of the Prius with DICE.

The VAIS seems to have more complete info about song titles and it is a little easier to read several things at once.

I saw a Youtube video of someone scrolling through his Ipod that was integrated with the DICE product and it seems a little clunky.

Lastly, there seems to be a lot of talk about not being able to see info on the MFD screen when the car is in motion(+/- parking break in use). I think that this is really more geared at Bluetooth/NAV/DVD folks, but is it applicable to these two audio integrating products?

If anyone has had the ability to compare these kind of products side by side or has more experience with them, that would really help me decide which one to get.

Thanks,

Steve & Kira

2. tongyang

tongyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have never used DICE, but I can give some more info about VAIS SL2i...

The screen above from VAIS, that is not the default view. You have to select something to get to that screen (browse? don't know off my head). And you can't select anything while the car is in motion (including the button to return to previous screen)

However, I do love the integration and everything works very well for what I use it for (podcasts, music).

3. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks so much Tony for replying,

Do you know which mode you have the VAIS in (Sat, MP3, other?)

Let's say you are playing a pod cast and you want to skip to the next one can you do this while the car is in motion (my guess is no)?

Can you change to volume(my guess is yes)?

If you have the package #7 Prius, I think that you have Nav, Blue tooth, and the 6 CD changer right?

Do you start off your trip already knowing what you want to listen to and then playing it from your Ipod before you start moving?

Thanks again for the reply.

Steve & Kira

4. tongyang

tongyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    MP3

Yes I can (use the steering wheel controls)

Yes I can

Yes I do

You can change songs/etc with up and down controls on the steering wheel (just can't select it with the screen), so this question doesn't really matter :)

5. SLO Cat Wrangler

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks once more time for the help! Really it is a great thing.

Last question for ya,

If you are changing stuff with the buttons on the steering wheel, while the car is in motion, and you cannot use the screen to change things, (this may sound dumb) does stuff on the screen change like artist, song track, etc? Can you do all your navigation of the Ipod with the controls at the wheel?

Steve & Kira

6. tongyang

tongyang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes

Well, I have an iphone, so I don't know if an Ipod acts the same, but you cannot use the ipod functions while it is connected.

7. CCC712

CCC712 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't have either the DICE or VAIS yet but I'm ordering the VAIS. After hours of internet research and lots of phone calls to both companies I think I've come up with the main differences between each besides price.

The DICE unit reorders your songs in a playlist by album, then artist, not by the order you put them on the playlist. THe VAIS doesn't do this. This is main reason I'm getting VAIS because I'm a playlist person and it would drive me nuts if my songs were out of order.

The DICE has an extra mode called SAT mode that will display the category you are choosing not just a number. So instead of just seeing "CD 2" you see "Playlist". It also lets you scroll quickly through tracks or artists or whatever category you have chosen using the tune knob. I don't know if you can use the tune knob to scroll while the car is in motion.

VAIS lets you change playlists with your steering wheel by holding down the mode button. Can't do this with a DICE (according to their tech support guy).

Now for the similarities. Both units act as a CD changer with each "CD" as a different category on your ipod. So CD 1 is songs, CD 2 is playlists, CD 3 is artists, CD 4 is albums CD 5 is podcasts (or something like that, not necessarily in that exact order). Both will display artist, track, and playlist information on your MFD. To my knowledge, you can't change artist or track from your MFD while in motion but you can change them with your steering wheel controls. Both also lock out your ipod so you must control everything via the MFD or wheel unless you are in simple mode. In simple mode you retain control of your ipod but you don't see any track info on the MFD and I believe the only thing you can control is track up/down from the car.

So to all the DICE users, do you lose functionality of the MFD while the car is moving? That is the only thing I'm not 100% sure of. I know you do with a VAIS.

Hope that helps in your decision of DICE or VAIS.

8. kjconrad

kjconrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I thought both units had a CD mode or a Sat mode. Using Sat mode let you browse through playlists, artists, albums, etc. freely.

Is it true about the Dice unit reordering your songs? I'm assuming it would still have a "Random" mode though right? I don't care so much if my songs are out of order... but If I can't randomize them I'd go nuts.

9. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a DICE unit. It does NOT reorder the songs in the playlist. I don't know where that idea would come from. I listen to playlists in order every single day. I push button 2 (Playlists), then use the track buttons to select which playlist I want, then the DICE starts playing that playlist and goes through it in the exact order that it sits on my iPod.

Yes, it has a shuffle mode, and it works exactly how you'd expect. You push the "RAND" button on the MFD screen and it goes into shuffle mode.

The DICE has other problems, but that's not one of them.

10. kjconrad

kjconrad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    And what might those problems be sir?

11. adavidw

adavidw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In a nutshell:

1. Occasionally, when you plug the iPod/iPhone in, the Dice doesn't recognize it and shows "detached" on the screen. If you unplug the iPod and plug it back in it usually works the second time.

2. When I plug in the iPod, sometimes either the iPod or Dice forgets where it was and just starts playing from the first song listed alphabetically. Could be an iPod problem, but I'm guessing it's a Dice problem.

3. If you have a song title or album title or artist with more than 42 characters, the dice chokes on it and just displays whatever was previously on the screen in that field. For just one example, this is a huge problem if you're trying to flip through a list of podcasts that have long titles to find the one you want to listen to, as all tracks will show the same title on the screen.

4. Won't charge the latest iPods or the iPhone 3G.

That said, it's a good choice for the money. I know the VAIS will charge the latest iPods if you get the right cable from them, and I assume from good reviews that the VAIS doesn't have the other problems I wrote about, but then the VAIS with the upgrade cable is about $100 more than the Dice. I personally am just going to live with the problems of the Dice until after my next trip to Vegas. If I win, I'll upgrade to the VAIS!

12. Shin Chan

Shin Chan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got the DICE from Priuschat last week (9-10-08), and it took me maybe 20 minutes to install. I thought it would be much harder after reading all the threads here; nope hardest part was drilling a hole to feed the cable connecting the Ipod to the DICE black box (since my cordless drill died).

13. Cate Ross

Cate Ross Owner of "Millenium Falcon"

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was going to order the DICE through PriusChat Shop, but chickened out about voiding the Toyota warranty.

I ended up ordering the Toyota iPod accessory and had the dealer put it in while they were replacing my defective MFD. Part plus labor was ~$500. I've had it for one (1!) day, so I'm new at it.

I can shuffle, select from playlists, album, artist, genre, audiobooks using steering wheel controls and/or MFD and radio controls. Even when the car is in motion, I can switch between the display and the "text" which shows title and artist--kind of like the "message" on the radio screen that doesn't work when the car is in motion.

It's taking a little bit of time to get used to the controls, but so far it's better than trying to steer from the iPod itself.