1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help fielding common question regarding my Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pdxprius, Mar 20, 2005.

1. pdxprius

pdxprius New Member

Hello all.

My '05 Prius has truly been a source of intrigue for all my friends to whom I've shown it off ever since I purchased it three weeks ago. I usually am able to answer most questions they pose, you know, like "do you have to plug it in?", etc.. There has been one particular question, however, that I have not been able to explain. Maybe some of you can help me better understand how this car works so I can have a better answer for my buddies.

The question is: how can the Prius frequently start and stop the ICE while driving without burning through spark plugs/ignition systems? Does it ignite the ICE by a different mechanism? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

The ignition system (and the fuel system) don't activate until the engine is spinning at about 900 rpm (spun up not by a conventional starter, but by one of the two electric motors). There will be no more wear and tear than on a conventional car.

In fact it can be argued there will be less, since (1) the ICE doesn't turn 100% of the time and (2) the plugs don't foul trying to start a motor spun at only 200 rpm or so as in a conventional car. And the "starter" itself has it easy since there is no solenoid and no ring gear teeth to engage. THis is another are where the Prius HSD may prove to be MORE reliable than an ICE alone.

3. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the ICE is essentially an air pump, throw fuel and spark at it and it runs, take away the spark and fuel and it's an air pump again. Below about 40 miles an hour when the MFD say's the ICE is off it's not spinning over about 40 the ICE spins to protect MG1 from over speeding with or without fuel and spark as reguired.