1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help finding a "liquid plastic" for project. Craft people might know what I'm looking for.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Nov 8, 2011.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a custom made dead pedal for my Insight. The word "Insight" is cut out of the metal dead pedal. I want to fill in the letters with something like a liquid plastic that will harden.

I dont know what I'm looking for so I hope some of you that are in to crafts might know what I need. I want it to be hard an durable. Does not matter if its gloss or flat finish just as long as it will last. Also must come in colors such as white, black and red.

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Have you looked at clear epoxies? Mixing a color into it would take some experimentation, but you should be able to get what you want.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Liquid Varathane comes in spray cans of many colours. It used to be made by Flecto, but I think it's now marketed by Rustoleum. Most home improvement stores should carry it.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do the letters have backing to them? If so, you could try an enamel to fill them in.
    I'm not directly familiar with them, but there are also various epoxies, mold making materials, etc. for the miniatures hobby.

5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How deep are the letters? If they are shallow enough that a layer of paint will do the job, then the options are wide open. Varathane products would be good as far as pint goes.

If they are too deep for that, then a clear 2 part epoxy would be good and also the easiest to find. People have tinted epoxy with all sorts of stuff.

Google tinted epoxy and pick what looks easy for you to do.

2 part epoxy garage floor paint would be good. It would set up but you usually need to buy it by the gallon.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The letters are cut all the way through. I can put a backing on it. I have some white vinyl I could use as a backing.

Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

7. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What I'm looking for is something like paint that I can pour into the letters and have it harden. I'm sure there is something in the craft world that is what I'm looking for.

Worst case I could fill the letters with something that will harden and then paint it. But I would rather have something thats all ready the color I want.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, now I see what you're talking about. Thank you, the picture is more helpful than the description alone.

I'm not so sure paint will work to fill in the holes. It's designed to coat surfaces, not be a structural element. Without any kind of backing, and subject to rubbing from your foot, paint wouldn't last very long.

What about putting a coloured sheet of plastic behind the metal? The colour would show through, and it would be easy to shape to the overall dimensions and then attach it to the back.

You could also use the metal as a stencil to mark the plastic, cut out the plastic pieces, and edge-glue them so that they fit flush. That would look better, but it's a lot more work. Poured-in resin would have the same effect, but you may have to buy far more than you need, and it may not adhere all that well.

9. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I may have found what I'm looking for.

Polyester Casting Resin with opaque dye. I would have to mix the stuff but thats all i can find. I would love to find something like that premade and all I would have to do is squirt it in the letters.

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two part resin comes in two parts; that's just how it is. :)

Once you've mixed in the catalyst, it hardens rather quickly, so it really doesn't have a shelf life to speak of. But it's easy, so don't worry about it. Just make sure everything is clean, measure the amounts carefully, and pay attention to the ambient temperature.

Don't mix it in your favourite cereal bowl, either, and try not to spill any on the carpet. :rolleyes:

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...probably that's it. Craft stores used to have this clear stuff that we would mount butterflies, flowers etc. sort of like paper weights (after hardening). Don't know if it is still avails.

12. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sound like the same stuff I bought.

Now I dont know if I should pour it in from the top or the back side. I'll have to experiment with it to see which way looks better. Also dont know about what color to use for the letters. White or black. The little thing above the first I is going to be red.

13. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest from the back, because the resin will shrink away from the top surface a bit as it cures. If you can 'spray tack' the metal and stick that white vinyl you have to the front, you'll end up with a smooth finished surface. Tape would also work to hold the resin, but you'll end up with lines and you don't want that.

14. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ebay link shows how it fits against the carpet. I would think you will have a problem with the letters cracking or poping out of that thin piece of stainless steel if you don't use a rigid back plate. A thin piece of plexiglas on the back painted whatever color you want might work better. If you really want to fill in the letters I would consider gluing on some fiberglass screening over the entire back to help support the letters with whatever you decide to use (epoxy, bondo etc.).

2000-06 HONDA INSIGHT STAINLESS DEAD PEDAL (FOOTREST) | eBay