1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help finding a shop, is it even worth it?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BrakesBroke94, Jul 26, 2021.

1. BrakesBroke94

BrakesBroke94 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2009 prius, 143k miles, owned for 2.5 years, paid $6.2k

Abs actuator/brake module is dead, brake siren now on full time.

Dealer quoted $2600 to fix
    local shop said $400 labor if i got a used part so i got a used part off ebay for $400 and now they are giving me the run around
    called a larger shop 2 hours away in boise, ID and they quoted $1k labor plus fluids if i brought in a used part

Does anyone have any shops to recommend in the twin falls, ID or surrounding area?

its been a great car otherwise but this is gonna hurt

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Does your car still have the OEM catalytic converters? If so, you can replace them with an aftermarket set of cats (cost about $150), sell the OEM for about $1350 and use that to finance the ABS replacement.

Otherwise, your car is a sitting duck for thieves to steal your OEM cats right out from under the car, leaving you with another repair bill. This way you beat them to the punch and make good use of the $$. Better to be in your pocket than Mr. Thief's.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it the original battery?

4. BrakesBroke94

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    no idea, i would guess so, might as well just straight pipe it since no emissions where i live, still would like to find a cheaper shop to put the used module in and break even selling the cats (how to tell if OEM?)

Fairly certain original HV battery but it shows no signs of degradation if i regen it to full i can get about 2-2.5 miles of battery range before the engine starts on flat ground. with regen disabled from the C1256 code my fuel economy has dropped from 48mpg to 37mpg (still not bad, my wife does not drive gentle and highway speeds are 85mph)

car was a company fleet vehicle in TX new to 2016, i bought it in TX 2018 and it was in MT 2019, OR 2020, and were now in ID

5. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When you find one, can you add it to my directory? I am trying to build a directory of all trusted Prius repair shops.

Prius Shops -

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The OEM is a completely welded system. One cat will be stamped GD3 and one stamped EA6. It's VERY easy to install an aftermarket model.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great car. i'd say it's worth doing, knowing that it might need a battery at some point

8. BrakesBroke94

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    battery doesn't worry me, under $1k or $1.5k for new cells and its a straight forward job i can do and a giant battery pack makes sense for the cost, but pump and a solenoid pack that's buried $800 in labor deep and costs more than a battery pack just rubs me raw, best ive found so far is $2200 at a dealer with a 2yr/24k mile parts and labor warranty, probly going to do that since i cant find any shops local to put the used one in for less that $1000 in labor

9. BrakesBroke94

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ended up taking it to a dealer, they quoted me $2200 and 2 yr 24k mile warranty, when i made the appointment they said $2600 1yr 12k mile warranty i talked them down to matching the $2200 they quoted me so :/ get all quotes in writing, also needed the proportional brake pressure switch for another $300 since allegedly driving with out the brake booster damaged it.