1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help finding right product to get rid of odor

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by darkgiant, Jun 28, 2017.

1. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am having issues with my 2011 Prius and bad Odor when using the AC, I tried a new Air Filter but the problem seems to be more than that. I am having an unusually hard time of finding the Toyota AC Refresher (here is a @NutzAboutBolts video as reference:
    ). I've tried various dealerships who are asking for nearly $50, and only see a couple of listings on eBay, both for $35 + $15 shipping (basically amounts to $50).

My question is, I see in previous threads in the past where people found the Toyota AC Refresher kit for dirt cheap (I see people even finding them for $30), and I was wondering, does anyone have any idea where I can find it for roughly $25<? Or better yet, are there better alternative products that would be safe to use for the Prius? I am seeing I can spray Lysol into the vent above the hood, but I am not sure if I would still have to drain and clean the evaporator, as is a part of the Toyota kit? Any hep is appreciated!

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it for about $20 on ebay (IIRC, maybe it was closer to $30?), but it was a few years ago. after seeing how it works, i used a cheaper method on another car that worked almost as well. I put 100% isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle and sprayed as much as I could in the cabin filter opening (sans filter of course) letting it drain via the drain tube. later, i started AC on high (fresh air) and sprayed it into air intake under the windshield. be careful, it's combustible. you could also find the active ingredients of the toyota's spray, and purchase that separately, but i didn't do it.

3. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try Kool-It. It's another AC evaporator cleaner that works the same way as the Toyota cleaner. It doesn't include the can that sprays the air intake vent, but that might not be needed to remove the odor. In old posts here, some people here have reported that they skipped that air intake spray because it is scented, and they didn't want to breathe that. Something like Lysol might be equivalent to that.

I bought some Kool-It on amazon.com because my car had a terrible stink when I bought it used a year and a half ago. I haven't ended up using it yet, because the stink cleaned up from elsewhere in the car, and there's no odor with the AC. I'll use it at some point though.

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good point about the used cars. the only 2 cars i had to service for AC smell were acquired used. the cars i have since new don't have problems, but i make sure to only use fresh air (no recirculate) and turn off AC half of mile before destination.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Koolit works great. Don't spray anything else in the vents it does nothing whatsoever except make you smell stink.
    Dealers get $125 here for e coil service here. Up on lift they attach the spray can of microbial cleaner with the rubber hose to the drip hose, the spray can contents is injected back up the hose as foam and then turns to liquid and drips back out the hose, in addition to cleaning the drip tube it also cleans the ecoil where the smell resides. The hard expensive part is getting the car high enough to get to the drip tube.
    If the car is used everyday the ecoil pretty much stays wet and mold does not set up but if you use the car a lot and the let it sit for days that's when it dries up and gets moldy.

The dealer basicly uses koolit with another can of the most god awful jean natai old lady perfume stench u have ever smelled. Skip that can if dealer serviced.

Koolit amazon.com $15.

6. TRUC NGUYEN

TRUC NGUYEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thats just perfume. Does nothing to clean the mold that is deep in the ecoil. You have to clean the coils just like you have to clean the coils on your home ac unit. You can spray perfume all day in the ac vents first time you turn on the ac it will just get blown out.

8. IMkenNY

IMkenNY Im just being nosy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My 2013 Pius plugin had a similar problem.
    My solution was to have my Mother-in-law exit the passenger seat and close the door :)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. TRUC NGUYEN

TRUC NGUYEN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sold lot more than Kool-it for the pass 3 years cause it works and easier to use

10. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With other cars I owned, (1 was always outside) we had a neighbor who's cat would piss in the hood and wipers and it stunk like hell. I took a pail of bleach water and dumped it on the wipers and on the hood, making sure plenty went down the vents. It worked well, but it was better when the cat "disappeared".

11. darkgiant

darkgiant Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So sorry for the late reply here... but it seems like Kool-It is the way to go?

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's the way the dealer does it. It's benign it works and it smells great.
    Only hard part is getting the car high enough to get under it to the drip tube. First time do 2 cans douche it good.

I usually clean the condenser too. Go to lowes buy 2 cans of Coil Cleaner in the ac filter aisle. Take the top plastic cover off the top of the rad.
    Hose the condenser down good with 2 cans of that cleaner. If really bug riddled let it sit then hose it off.

This is nothing new here. It's basic maintenance the same thing you should do to your home unit.
    You will be rewarded with ice cold air.

Owned my Prius 10 yeas ac is ice cold. House too.

#12 edthefox5, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017