1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help from a Gen II owner w/ a Homelink Mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by LuvMy2010, Jun 15, 2011.

1. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I loved my 07 Prius, but thanks to an idiot in a Dodge Ram, it is now totaled in a junk yard. I've salvaged many items from it, which I plan to install in my 2010 Prius replacement. One of which is the homelink mirror, but I'll need a new wiring harness for it. Toyota wouldn't sell the wiring harness separate from the mirror, but I got one from Subaru (Part # H501SAG030, in case anyone else is interested) without any problem for $13. Now, I'll just have to tap the wires in. Only problem now is that the wires are not clearly labeled on the Subaru model. Two wires are black, one black w/ white stripe. Anyone know which wire is which?

If you have a Gen II with a homelink mirror, you could really help me out! Just let me know the wire colors and pin locations on your plug on the back of your mirror. You could also just take a photo and post it. From what I'm reading on other posts, Toyota stock wiring harness (which Toyota won't sell me) has all of the wires clearly colored.

If we can figure out these wires, then this will be a cheap install for anyone with a mirror, but no harness.

2. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  3. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Although I didn't hear from anyone, a good guess and the mirror is up and working, but I still need help from a Gen II owner. Is your homelink green LED on all the time? If so, does it drain your battery? Based on the install instructions, the LED is on all the time, unless you turn it off. I really don't want to have to remember to turn it off everyday. I thought in my 07 Prius, it was only on when the car was on. Any info from a current owner of a homelink mirror would be great!

4. Jenkins

Jenkins New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 2008, the LED is only on when I press a a homelink button. I assume you are talking about the LED that is in between the 2nd and 3rd button, and not LED for the on/off for the auto dimming mirror.

Hope this helps!

5. BrettS

BrettS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've got a Gen III, but I believe the homelink mirror is about the same and I believe the LED is off when the car is off. I installed the mirror in my car and I believe that the three connections are Ground, switched power, and constant power. Obviously your ground is good, but perhaps you have the constant power and switched power connections reversed, or perhaps they're both connected to constant power.

6. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you. You both have confirmed what I was thinking. Yes, both appear to be on constant power. On the car end, everything is hooked up to the wires which Toyota dictates in their installation instructions, which I found on another post. So, I'm guessing the problem is the plug on the mirror side. My guess is that the wires go into different pins on the Toyota plug, than they do on the Subaru plug which I've used (since Toyota wouldn't sell me the wire harness separately.) Would anyone be willing to provide me with the plug pin breakdown on their plug? Here's what mine looks like...

A X G X X
    J X X O J

A= Acc Power
    G= Ground
    J=Jumper between 2 pins
    O= Always on 12 V
    X=Empty

Attached Files:

7. LuvMy2010

LuvMy2010 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Anyone? Is this what the plug and corresponding wire locations on the back of your homelink mirror look like?

8. dave57

dave57 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The mirror connections are all the same.
    The subaru mirrors do not have a full time power connection to the homelink.
    The subaru mirror connections are switched power, reverse un dim, and ground.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Luvmy2010,
    The homelink mirror has two connections for 12v power (black) and one for gnd (black/white). One is supposed to be alway hot (garage door open feature) and the other is supposed to be hot in ACC or IG ON (auto dimming feature). If the green light is always on, you have hooked the auto dimming feature up to an always hot line (it should be to a line that is hot in ACC or IG on. I installed a homelink on my 06 and I hooked one up to the 12V power outlet supply (which is switched). Of the three wires, one should be always hot (so you can open the garage when the car is off), one should be switched (on when in ACC or IG on) and the other is 12v negative or gnd (black/white). I'm not sure which is which but, its just a matter of unhooking one of the black wires until the green led goes out to figure it out. Do this:

Unhook one of the black wires from its 12v source. If the green led goes out, that wire should be hooked to a switched DC source (ie the 12v power outlet), if it stays on, the other wire is the one you want to remove and hook up to the switched 12v source.

In all the research I did prior to installing mine, both wires can be hooked up to a switched 12v source. If you do this, you won't be able to open/close your garage door if the car is off (which some people want).

10. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A