1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help identifying an unusual noise, recorded a short audio

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by TimmyZ, Mar 29, 2017.

1. TimmyZ

TimmyZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

Recently I started hearing an unusually noise coming from my Prius 2010.
    I hear this noise at lower speed ( 0-30mph), the noise sounds like it is related to how fast the wheels are rotating. At first I thought some metal part of my car is scratching the wheels or touching the ground, but couldn't find any evidence. The noise seems to come from back end of the car.
    This noise goes away when I am driving at a higher speed on a highway. And it is not related to the brakes.
    I am sorry I couldn't describe it any better, any advice on things I should check is appreciated.

I used my phone to record the noise, not very good recording quality, I apologize in advance.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_FOr2jsArbxQktlNXVObmc0QU0

Thank you,
    Tim

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My immediate guess would be a wheel bearing. However, the pulsing would also be from an uneven surface such as a tire. Does it vibrate at any speed?

3. TimmyZ

TimmyZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for the quick response. It does not vibrate at any speed. Making a turn does not affect the noise I m getting either.

4. MeGuinness

MeGuinness Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Have any work done recently around your wheels? Inspection, brakes, tires, rotate wheels, etc?

Have you looked underneath? Possibly something caught underneath and is rubbing... like a small tree branch or other debris.

Maybe consider jacking each rear wheel up, then rotate and listen. Remove the wheel and listen.

Some more investigative work might yield an answer. Good luck! (y)

6. TimmyZ

TimmyZ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank everyone for the input. I took my car to a mechanic, it turns out the left rear brake pad was stuck and the whole brake disc has been rusted because it hasn't been used since the pad stopped functioning. I had to replace both rear brake discs and pads.
    Again thank you for visiting the page and helping me troubleshooting this issue. I learned a lot in the process!

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ah, another rust belt victim.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Now I've heard of things getting sticky enough that they drag—the braking force is strong enough to make the pads touch the rotor, then they're just too stuck to let go—but so stuck that 2000 psi brake fluid can't make them touch? Now that is stuck!

How many miles, and when was the last brake checkup?

-Chap