1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help installing DICE iPod kit in 2006 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by yambu, Feb 4, 2007.

1. yambu

yambu New Member

(Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere).

I have a 2006 Prius, no XM radio installed. I was hoping to install the DICE without removing the ENTIRE dash as some suggest. I removed the passenger side vent panel to the right of the head unit / MFD, as well as the lower glovebox. I unscrewed the Big White Box and moved it out of the way. I can reach my hand in behind the head unit (with difficulty), but there doesn't seem to be a port that will accept the plug on the DICE cable. The second port from the right (passenger) side is empty, but much too small. I tried unplugging other cables in there, but none of those ports match up either. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. GeekEV

GeekEV Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yambu @ Feb 4 2007, 07:33 PM) [snapback]385363[/snapback]</div>
    That's the correct location, that's where is was on my 2006 radio. As I recall, there were two male connectors and one female connector on the non-dice site of the cable. The one of the male connectors and the female connectors should match up with each other. The male one is what plugs in to the radio, the female is a passthrough in case you do have the XM. The other (larger, if I recall) male connector is unused, ignore it. Hopefully that helps you out.

And yeah, squeezing back there and getting it snapped in took a bit of fiddling. It's tight clearances to be sure, hard to get the proper leverage.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Like Mr. Zorg said, that's the right hole. It's at an angle, so find the right male plug and keep trying. On the Y-cable, there's a male plug and female socket that can fit together, that's the male plug to use. Press it in tight once you have slid it in. It's a lot easier to make sure the plug is tight in the socket now, rather than when you have the dash back together.

Take your time, take a break if you're getting frustrated. It really does fit together, and only one way.

Welcome to PriusChat! Keep posting to tell us how it's going!

4. yambu

yambu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Feb 5 2007, 12:41 AM) [snapback]385414[/snapback]</div>
    Well, thanks to you guys and Alex, I was able to solve the problem -- which was basically to realize that there WAS a smaller cable and discover that it had fallen out of the box on my workbench before heading out to work on the car (a truly brilliant move on my part...) Haven't put it in yet, but clearly the smaller plug will fit easily into the empty port. Now to send the unit back for a ROM upgrade...

Thanks!

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :D It can happen to anyone!

What does the ROM upgrade fix? How do you know if you need it/can use it?

6. yambu

yambu New Member

I was reading somewhere on this site about a couple of DICE bugs that have been fixed (but I can't recall where). I think DICE released a new version in January. In any case, I emailed them the numbers off the back of my unit, and they replied that I did not have the newest release. They said to mail it to them and they'd send a new unit out the same day. Their email address is [email protected].