1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need help. no start 08 prius in other state

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jkman, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Jkman

Jkman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My son's car (08 Prius) is in Falls Church, VA with a guy doing minor bodywork. He doesn't know anything about a Prius and communicating is difficult.

The car doesn't start and the only reliable information I can get over the phone is that a "wrench light" is constantly on the dash. Ive never met a bodyman that couldn't wrench but this one can't - at all.

The main battery was recently replaced with a Dr. Prius lithium battery.

The 12 volt was also replaced recently and I believe has been tested and is charged. A locksmith friend of the bodyman did the testing but I didn't talk to him.

The key case was replaced with a generic. The locksmith is saying that the key is the problem (but basically seems to be guessing.) We're going to send an OE key to him.

Both the dash gauges and touch screen were repaired. I forgot who did the work but they showed up on forums as doing many.

What was supposed to be a simple task fixing a bumper is turning into a cluster .... headache. I'm trying to figure out what could be wrong and get it fixed so that it can be driven about 500 mi. It would be great if I didn't get screwed in the process.

So, what can I have done to get this thing going easily since I can't go get it? Is there a Prius mechanic or someone on this board in the area that you can recommend?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I believe the wrench light he's referring to The flashing red key. So if they wanted to they could push the key button down underneath the steering wheel to the end position that'll turn off SKS which is the remote looking and working from afar whatever then they will need to slot the remote and see if they can start the car I'm not sure what the issue is when they depress the brake and push the power button what happens seems like that's not here I'm not getting it I understand they can't move the car but the wrench light flashing is normal I was just saying turn the SKS off to conserve battery and then they can just put the remote in the slot and leave it in there The doors won't lock the car will move if they get in it and push the power button your car should be in bang up shape with a Dr Prius lithium HV battery and a recently replaced 12 volt I mean how long is the car been sitting have they left doors open with the lights on inside the car and all this and that kind of nonsense like body people tend to be doing radio playing whatever if that's the case then they need to charge the 12 volt before they be doing anything. I am hours from falls Church VA I believe.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when did it begin not starting, before or after it was in the shop?

when my 04 was in the body shop a long time ago, they depleted the hybrid battery by leaving the car in neutral with the a/c running.
    had to bring in a special toyota charger

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Now today you could call somebody and they would just bring a 300 volt 2.5 amp charger put it on there for a couple hours good to go. And the body shop would be paying the bill either way man that's just really ignorant this is one reason why I don't have people working on my cars The quality of humans today is getting kind of lacking of a bunch of kids with their pants down around their knees 24/7.