1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help planning upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Aug 1, 2010.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    buncha questions, thanks in advance -

1) Those without backup camera - is it a pain? I've tried cloth over mine to simulate no camera and will do that more. Plain Prius III w/o nav is on the list.

2) If no backup camera, do you wish you had one? Any success adding it in mirror or somewhere else?

3) Any negative effect of running the 15s without the plastic hubcaps? I believe need a cap to seal out dust from the hole.

4) Isn't it best to sell a car within its 3 year/36,000 mile warranty period? I'm a year and a month away from 3 years, well within miles, and not buying an extended.

5) What's the benefit of waiting until Prius demand goes far up? Might get more for my used car, but then the new Prius' will cost more.

6) Would it be good to try selling in August? some say students buy cars for school. But $20k Prius' for school? hmmm

7) Can anyone think of a better 5 seat hatch than this Prius, a small-mid that actually seats 6 footers front and back?

8) would you buy your 3rd Gen Prius again?

2. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    1-3 don't apply.
    4. Isn't it even better to keep it forever? I bought myself a fancy Prius because I hope to keep it for >15 years, perhaps. Maybe it just runs in the family; my parents' current cars are a 1992 Honda Accord and a 2000 Ford Econoline conversion van. Well, that's not true any more, I suppose; the Accord just got replaced with a Prius IV. Though not before they tried to dump the Accord on me... :rolleyes:

Seriously though, if you need a new car very frequently, it's probably slightly better to sell every 2.5 years than every 3.5, but if you can drag it out for 5 or more, you're probably even better off; the depreciation reduces the longer you have the car, and the maintenance costs don't really amount to much, most people find. Even then, an extended warranty is probably cheaper than the depreciation on a new car.

5-7, no idea.

8. Yes. It's a good car. I just wish my home had a smart key system too.

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might try a Ford Fusion just to resolve any doubts.

As for buy a 3rd Gen again, in a New York minute.

Bob Wilson

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    4. Better to keep 15 yrs. if you like it.

5. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd check it out but bass drum and large hardware case no fit in Fusion or other trunked cars.

6. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you ride fixedgear?

7. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just buy one... now! :)

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What?

9. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You are definitely better off selling it within the factory warranty. For one the new owner can still buy a Toyota extended warranty while the car is within the original warranty even if its only a few k miles left. When you are selling the vehicle yourself, thats a good selling platform to be in.

Better 5 seat hatch...have you driven the Matrix? How about an Accord CrossTour?

How about a small SUV, like a Hyundai Santa Fe? Or even the new Ford Explorer, its now car based and has an EcoBoost 4cyl option...

1 person likes this.
  10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Getting along well without backup camera? Or feel need to install one?

11. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The more I think about it, the more I think maybe you should look at a Santa Fe. Fuel economy will be nothing like the Prius, but it has a nice high seating position and is easy to maneuver, its carlike, its extremely reasonably priced depending on the trim level, has a lot of features, and its AWD...

12. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Cramped in Matrix, Crosstour big, $$$, <25MPG. Like to sit low, veer away from CUV's. Jetta Sportwagon a great size, but.

13. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No reverse cam, but reverse sensors - they help a lot. No intention of adding a cam.

1 person likes this.
  14. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1) I've got the backup camera, but do find that I only look at it when I'm about to back up, to ensure no little person is behind my bumper and to ensure I don't play "bumper tag" with the car behind me as I parallel park. For actual backing up, I'm often using the back windows as you get a better field of vision. Also, my polarized lenses sometimes are in conflict with the back up screen, thus I have to rotate my head in order to "see" the screen in a more normal light.

2) If the camera is built into the mirror, it might be a better compromise of money spent vs safety.

3) You will need the center cap cover. Folks pulling the covers off have not noticed a MPG performance drop. The only negative effect is that you may scuff up the alloys rather than the covers.

4) It might make a difference to some people. They can buy the extended warranty if they like. I keep my cars 10+ years, so I can't answer this question.

5) You will get more for your trade in, but won't be able to negotiate down the new Prius price at all and may have to be on a waiting list with "added dealer markup". The main reason to wait is that the new model years might change the option packages to something you find more appealing, but the Prius Team implied that if something like that happened it would be a mid year 2011 model year refresh. I don't know if it is worth waiting (If you are trying to balance #4).

6) I think that anytime is good, especially if Toyota is having a sale that offers money back on the Prius. Can't comment on who might be buying.

7) Actually, no I can't. I got my car because it allows my two kids to "grow up" in the back. There will be enough head and leg room for them as they hit their teenage years and beyond.

8) I'm with Bob, in a New York Minute.

1 person likes this.
  15. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on this post, and some of your previous posts...two words: buyer's remorse. ;)

From my perspective, it sounds like you wanted to buy a Prius, then had a lot of concerns, and now are trying to talk yourself into to it.

Take my advice--don't buy a car that you've taken this long to try to convince yourself to buy. Trust me--I speak from experience. :p

16. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As to the backup camera, I do not have one and do not miss it.

17. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Very tall people seem to like the Honda Fit, as a hatchback with enormous cargo capacity, can carry 5 adults, and gets decent gas mileage.

18. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You don't want a VW...talk about a reliability nightmare...