1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help programming key for ignition

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by scythefwd, Oct 15, 2011.

1. scythefwd

scythefwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bough a 2k6 prius. I got to keys with it... one starts the car and works everything... the other just acts as a remote. How do I program the second key to work in the ignition?

I've yet to get any of the directions posted on the net to work. These have the silver Toyota symbol on the back.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like you have the used-ebay-smartkey problem. If it doesn't have the smart key functions already, the only way to make it so is with a scan tool and a seed reset. It is interesting that the remote can lock and unlock the car but not start it when placed in the key slot.

3. scythefwd

scythefwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So it's a trip to the dealer to fix it. No biggie... they'll make it right.. I took delivery today, so they'll not really have much choice. I bought it from a nissan dealership, but the same people own a toy dealership 2 or 3 doors down... Simple.

4. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I hope they take care of you. Dealer cost on a new key is around $100 with 10 minutes of programming. Their cost on reprogramming a used key is $40 for a seed reset and about an hour of labor. You may meet some resistance since it is $$$ out of their pocket no matter what.

5. scythefwd

scythefwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seilerts- they sold me a car with only 1 working key but two keys programmed for the doors... they sold me defective keys.. they will take care of it... I already took the car off the lot for 300 under bluebook (that includes tax, title, etc..)... they already know what I'm about.

6. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Given the poor reputation for Toyota dealers in Virginia, good luck.

7. scythefwd

scythefwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seilerts... it'll get done.... I didn't buy from a toy dealer, like I said, but they seem willing to work with me. They already offered to download a manual for the car and mail it to me... gonna be taking them up on that too... unless yall can tell me where to dl one myself for free.

8. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Register your car's VIN at Toyota Owners - Official Toyota Owners Website. This provides access to your car's service history as performed by Toyota dealers and there is a link to download the manual, although they have it divided up into 25 pdf files.

You may also be interested in this one, which has a lot of DIY tips and warnings e.g. don't overfill your engine oil and/or check the dipstick after having it done by a quick lube or dealer.
    John's Stuff - Toyota Prius User-Guide

1 person likes this.
  9. scythefwd

scythefwd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the maintenance shop wasn't open today.. they said bring it back and they'll get it fixed. Same owner has like 4 or 5 shops in a row... they're taking care of it... probably next Saturday. Thank you priority Nissan for fixing your goof with minimal inconvenience.

He's also going to download and print the manual for me and then mail it to me.
    I'll take it.

So what oil specs do I need for
    engine
    transaxle

What coolant for:
    ICE
    Inverter?