1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Help Putting a PS3 in Prius (Pri-S-3)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Camalex12, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Camalex12

Camalex12 New Member

Hey everyone,
    let me first say that I understand that I cannot play and drive at the same time, let me also say that my friend works for sony and he gave me a ps3 and a wii, so with the spare ps3 I was going to attempt a fun project.... Now that that is out of the way. I am going to be buying the ultimate lockpick 3 to unlock my center console screen, run an A/V component cables from the glovebox (where the lockpick a/v cables will connect with the radio shack component cables) down the right side of my prius all the way to the back, and in the trunk space near the spare tire I was going to put a PS3. I needed some help on how to power this. I originally thought about powering directly from the battery by connecting a fuse and then attatching the converter (yay or nay?). If it is not too detrimental to my car, I want to be able to play it when the car is off. I was going to go with a capacitor connected to my battery, and add a converter in the loop that I would then plug the console into. I want the capacictor so I can get some playing time when my car is off. As I understand, the larger the voltage on the capacitor, the more watts per hour it will produce thus giving me more playing time that is not pulling from the actual prius battery while the car is off and unable to regenerate battery. (if any of this is wrong or ill-stated, please correct me). I have a few questions for some of the fellow prius homeys.

1. Is this the most efficient way to power my PS3?
    2. Will I need a fuse in this battery --capacitor --converter circuit?
    3. Anything I may not have thought of, or any suggestions?

I have been reading prius chat forums for a while and this is my first post. I hear of people really getting good advice, so I hope you guys can help me out! I will be happy to post pictures once/should the job get done.

2. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Putting in PS3 is Prius is not such a good idea because it is a huge power hog. It consumes about 380 watts...about 7 head lamp bulbs. If you are powering it with the HV battery pack full (8 bars), PS3 will drain it down to 2 bars in an hour. This does not account for the Lockpick3, MFD, and audio system.

If you really want to put in a PS3, get the new 40GB model that is less power hungry.

3. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm no electrical engineer, but I don't think you're going to get the benefit you intend from a capacitor.

Also as usbseawolf2000 mentioned, you'll probably draw down your 12V battery pretty quickly (I assume that was where you were going to get the power from for the PS3) if the car is "off". For that matter, I don't think you can the MFD to work with the power off without some effort.

Since the gas engine doesn't fire up until the battery needs to be recharged, why not just leave the car on when using the PS3? Then you'll have access to just about 1.5kW from the 12V until your tank runs dry. If you leave everything off except the MFD and the PS3, you ought to be able to get a couple of days of nonstop PS3 play before you need to add some fuel to the tank.

4. Camalex12

Camalex12 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny Hamilton @ Nov 15 2007, 11:40 AM) [snapback]539956[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I did not think about that MFD being shut down as a result of me shutting the car on.... I guess I can leave the car on and simply connect the converter to my car batter under the seat.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(usbseawolf2000 @ Nov 15 2007, 11:14 AM) [snapback]539949[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, I did not think to get a ps3 with smaller storage.
    -Cam