1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help removing 10mm bolts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Oneaxepony, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have an '07 Prius base model. I would like to remove the black plastic liner in the center console. If you take out the coin tray and the flexible mat from the console you see two 10mm bolts. The bolts appear to have to shiny resinous material in the center. When I try to remove these bolts with a 10mm socket the socket slips around the bolt and is starting to round out the edges. Does anyone know how to get these bolts out? Is there something that lies beneath the resin I should know about?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's odd....I've removed those bolts and recall no issues at all. But I don't recall any resin either.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not familiar with this, but have you tried a 9 mm socket to see if that fits better?

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Try a different socket. Just because a socket is the "correct" size doesn't mean it fits best

Eg: on my FJ, the rear diff fill and drain plugs are 24 mm. A 6 point 24mm socket feels a bit "loose" on the drain plug. However, a 6 point 15/16 inch socket fits tight

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the heads up, I have to pull my center console for a couple of Mods, now I know what to look out for!!

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Snap-On sockets.
    Cheap sockets are a waste of space and may hurt you.

7. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for all the suggestions. The 10mm socket got out one of the bolts and a 3/8" got out the rounded one. To get the liner out I'll have to remove four small screws, two on each side of the console below seat level. Will need some time before I can try that.

I am trying to see if Aux wire was run up to the console. The base Prius doesn't have Aux but the wiring may be there. If so, installing a 3.5mm audio jack should be easy. Getting Aux at the other end would require upgraded head unit or Car2Aux type device.

Edited to add there was no resin in the bolt heads. It just appeared that way when light was shining on them.

8. Oneaxepony

Oneaxepony Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It turned out to be easier to remove the whole center console than the plastic liner. Remove the two 10mm bolts described above. Then pull off the front trim piece that contains the cup holders. You dont need any tools for the trim piece, it has two snaps near the carpet and two up on the console. Pull on it near the carpet - it will come loose. With the trim piece gone there are two screws near the carpet, one on each side of the console. With those out, the whole console lifts off revealing the wiring to it.

There is no Aux wiring running to the console in my base Prius. It would be relatively easy to add it because there is a wiring channel under the console beneath the carpet to the dash area. Just thought I would let everyone know what I found out.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you were able to disassemble the console. I suggest that you purchase replacement bolts from your hardware store (or Home Depot or Lowe's), if the originals have worn heads.