1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help swapping 2005 XM for Sirius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dsss, Nov 21, 2008.

1. dsss

dsss New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I have a 2005 Prius with a "Factory" XM install. I used the CoastalTech Kit which I believe was just an older XM tuner, antenna, plugs, etc... I want to put in Sirius instead and was wondering if I could simply purchase an appropriate Sirius tuner and antenna and swap that with my existing XM tuner? Any recommendations on the easiest way to do that and what parts to look for?

Thanks very much for any help you could offer.

2. rwa46

rwa46 Pilot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    xm and sirius are the same now. why do you want to swap?

3. dsss

dsss New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They actually aren't exactly the same yet (premium services like MLB and NFL are still not integrated), but that aside, I have a lifetime sub with sirius and want to use it in my prius instead of paying for XM at this point.

4. rwa46

rwa46 Pilot

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i have installed sirius not xm so haven't seen both plugs. i would pull out back seat and see the plug end for the xm and then compare with the sirius unit. if the same you are set if not will need new one. also if you have lifetime subscription with one you how have it with both (yes no) i would call and ask before doing anything.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can get MLB and NFL now on both Sirius and XM.
    But seriously, I think it's worth some phone calls and trying to escalate the calls higher up the chain of command to see if you can convert your Sirius lifetime sub to a Sirius/XM lifetime that would let you keep the XM tuner installed.

Beyond that/failing that, I'd be surprised if you can just swap out the tuner without changing cables...maybe I'm wrong, but I suspect they have unique tuner-end plugs...and aren't the antenae different too?