1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

NEED HELP TO UNTWIST DRIVER DOOR TO RESEAL PROPERLY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AvTech72, May 14, 2021.

1. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I had gotten locked out of my car after a gentleman locked the car manually and I did not have a working fob.
    After trying to slimjim the door handle with a cheap rod,the rod broke and I had to wait for an hour for the car wash guys to find a better rod.
    Meanwhile the whole time my door was pryed open and being held by one of these small inflatable air bags to hold it open while attempting to get the door open. Didnt realize it but it seems from being held open long enough,the doors frame has been twisted and does not seal outside noise well, ESPECIALLY ON THE HIGHWAY!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to untwist the driver door to help create the necessary seal from noise outside would be greatly appreciated in advance!

Many thanks,
    Michael David

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It does not seem possible that the door is twisted unless possibly someone used a crowbar to try to pry it open. Is that the case? You say it is the door frame, which I would expect is the upper part of the door into which the window rises when it is being closed. If that is really twisted, you would not be able to close your window either. Are you having a problem doing that? Otherwise I would say the rubber seal around the door has become damaged and should probably be replaced or repaired with a silicone sealant. Trying to restore a piece of bent metal that has been stamped into shape at the factory would seem like a fool's errand. Any type of bending will stretch the metal, meaning that it can never be brought back to its original shape by unbending it.

Samuel Williams Jr likes this.
  3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there is a gap at the top of the door frame while the door is fully closed and properly latched (ie, the metal frame is bent and not just a torn or out of position weather seal) , this is what I would suggest. Fully lower the window. Get a piece of 2x4 (maybe 4-8" long) and place it between the body and the door- somewhere at the bottom towards the rear of the door. I aim for a spot where the "flat" of the body is parallel to a "flat" on the door so the wood block is square between them, not angled. The wood should be parallel to the car so you have a 4" gap at door to body.

Hold the door closed against the wood block and then apply force at the top rear of the door frame towards the center of the car. Try a moderate amount of force (25-50lbs), take out the wood block and check your results. Do it again with more force if you need to go further, but be careful not to bend the bottom lip of the door where the wood block is. You have to bend the door slightly past where you want it to end up as it will spring back some.

AvTech72 and davecook89t like this.
  4. AvTech72

AvTech72 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I will do this and take before and after pictures! Great recommendation,was tryting to figure how to put pressure on the bottom to undo,or like you said have extra pressure on top with bottom par ot the door out to get it to spring back to neutral!