1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with a GB network speed issue.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Nov 29, 2009.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 1GB network setup with a 1GB switch and my desktop and media computers.

My desktop is currently running Ubuntu 9.1 and this issue was happening when I had XP Pro x64 installed too.

My media PC is running XP Pro x64.

When I push a file from my desktop to the media PC it will transfer fine at about 65MB per second up to about 1.1GB of data then it will drop to about 5MB per second until it finishes. The speed kind of jumps around for the first 1.1GB of data. It also jumps between 0MB and 5MB during the slow speeds.

Now if I go to my media PC and pull the file from my desktop it will transfer over at 65MB per second until it finishes. The speed is a steady 60-70MB per second.

I have determined that the issue must be with my media PC since the issue happens with my desktop running XP or Linux.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I've tried turning off QOS and I've tried Jumbo frames. Jumbo frames does fix the issue but it causes issues with other hardware I have so I cant use it.

Any Ideas?

2. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Try turning off auto negotiation and fixing the connection speed on the network card, auto negotiation does not work well under Windo$e.

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That did not work.

I just dont under stand it. I can pull a file from my media PC to my desktop at 50MB a second until the file finishes but if I push a file to my media PC from my desktop it always drops its speed to 5MB a second when it transfers over 1.1GB of data. This happens every time right at 1.1GB.

If I connect to my media PC and pull the file from my desktop it transfers over fine. Same way if I push the file to my desktop.

Its starting to get on my nerve because I have to VNC to my media PC and start the transfer from that side.

4. Mjolinor

Mjolinor New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    So, more info. How are you doing the file transfers? I reckon it is cache size and block size that are giving the difference. Boot the XP machine from a live Ubuntu CD so that both ends are the same and to define a hardware / software problem.

What speeds do you get with the rates fixed at 1, 10, 100 and max?

5. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May be your router/switch, try a direct connect with a reversed (usually they're yellow) Cat5/6 cable.

Also, when you "pull" the 1G file, that file has been scanned by Windows / anti-virus / anti-malware. So it doesn't analyse it.

When you "push" perhaps the PC at the other end is examining the file. Setup a Temp directory that is excluded from any scanning, and put it in there.

You can find used high quality switches that do 100/1000 on eBay for 100$ - so imagine new. The ones I use at work, rackmount, cheapest cost me 199$ new for 16 ports.

Double-check in the properties that you're full-duplex 1000, try changing wires.
    I wouldn't be surprised your patch cords are Cat5, than can do 1000, but Cat6 certified cables are better.

Lastly, RAM. Windows likes splitting 50/50 the total RAM, half for caching and half for system use. So perhaps there's not enough RAM to fully cache the file.
    Linux would not suffer from this.

If it wouldn't be for CODEC problems my HTPC would be a Ubuntu box instead of a WinXP 32bit.