1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with a quick choice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rebbi, Aug 20, 2006.

1. rebbi

rebbi New Member

Following the advice of the many fine folks on this Web site, in the wake of my previous thread about having a really hard time finding a new Prius in Central Texas, I have spread out my efforts and inquired with a lot of dealers within two hour's driving distance of Austin.

This seems to be how things are shaping up at the moment. Remember that I am trying to take delivery of this vehicle before the tax credit gets cut at the end of September.

One: I have a five hundred dollar deposit with one of the local dealers who says that my car is "on order." He has no indication when the car will come in, but "it is an active order and we're waiting for a vehicle to come from Japan." Doesn't sound very promising to me!

Two: I got a telephone call from a dealer about 90 minutes away. He told me that he has "an extra vehicle" that is to say, a Prius, coming in his next allocation. He says that he can probably trade it for something close to what I want (a package number four in any color but black or white).

Three: one local dealer with whom I inquired a few days ago just got official notice of his allocation from the distributor. He has four vehicles that are currently "not spoken for." Two of them are base models in black. They come in at around 24 thousand dollars. When I asked him why the base model was that expensive, he said that both of them come with the Extra Mile Package, as well as pin striping and some other nonsense. Also, if I remember correctly, some sort of exterior finish to protect the paint. In addition, this dealer has two package number 8 vehicles in silver that are not spoken for. They weigh in, as you can guess, at around thirty thousand dollars, before tax, title and license. These vehicles should be in in about three weeks, he said, which beats the end of September deadline.

I know that there are many factors here that I have to consider from my own situation, including financial ones, but I'm wondering how you would weigh this decision. I've never even considered a package number 8, although, a neighbor told me that "leather seats are great if you have kids because when they spill something, you just wipe it up." That makes a lot of sense to me. I also happen to have a Bluetooth enabled cellphone, so that integrated Bluetooth phone dialing feature is something I can make use of. And while I recognize from the What I Hate About My Prius thread that Toyota has deliberately imposed limitations on the navigation system, I can certainly see that feature being something that I could use. Still, we're talking about a very expensive automobile at that point.

Interested to hear what you all think. I'm going have the make this decision by the time the dealership opens up on Monday!

Thanks a lot for your opinions...

rebbi

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no point in paying $3000 extra for a base model to get a $3150 tax credit. Scratch that scum off the list.

I would accept nothing less than a package with side airbags....it's worth missing on the full tax credit (you still get 1/2 after Sept. 30) for the added safety.

So, either Dealer 1 or 2 seems reasonable, but I'd pin down #2 a bit more on the details.

3. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 20 2006, 05:49 PM) [snapback]306349[/snapback]</div>
    Seems like sound advice, Evan. Thanks for the thoughts.

Take care,

Steve

4. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Sounds like dealer 2 is being the most upfront with you and I wouldn't spend more than MSRP which it sounds like dealer 3 is trying to get you to do. Nothing wrong with a black Prius - mine's a beauty. :D

5. MechaJohn

MechaJohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interested to hear what you all think. I'm going have the make this decision by the time the dealership opens up on Monday!

Thanks a lot for your opinions...

rebbi
    [/quote]

If you truly want the base model, then tell the dealer that you want the option package B removed. If the cars are on his allocation, and have not yet reached the dealership, then the options can be changed. I have a fleet dealer doing just that for me. My Prius is scheduled to arrive in town (at another dealership) by the 26th. My dealer traded for the color/package I wanted. But the car had option pack B. He simply changed it in the computer and now when the car arrives the other dealer will put my options in instead.

I requested package 3 or 4. Package 3 is the first one with the side curtain airbags. After reading the crash test results, I decided they were a must. The only difference between 3 and 4 is the Vehicle Stability Control.

Good luck with your search.

6. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

FORGET the pin stripe...the Prius is not a pin stripe kind of vehicle !...anyway, I would take the Pkg. 8 if you can afford it, a few grand more wont even make your payment go up that much if you finance, and you will get ALOT better trade down the road with a fully loaded car. The Prius really reaches its hi tech potential with the Pkg. 8, you wont be disapointed.

7. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Aug 20 2006, 10:30 PM) [snapback]306453[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I agree with you; the Prius is stunning in black. But it's so brutally hot here in the summer that I just can't justify buying a black vehicle. :huh:

Take care,

Steve

8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't get a model without side airbags. The car is not safe in a side impact (T-bone strike) without them. They become a standard feature in 2007 models (about time!). VSC is great, so a package 4 should be your base model. Expand your search radius if you don't find what you want locally.

9. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 21 2006, 12:49 AM) [snapback]306537[/snapback]</div>
    Woohoo! Nabbed it! :) From Dealer #2: Package 6, Seaside Pearl, on the train from California to Houston as we speak! The sales guy was great. Car came with Extra Mile Package that added over $1000 to the price; he offered to delete it (explaining that those packages are added at the regional point of entry) and I still have time to decide whether to upgrade to leather, which is also done at point of entry, apparently. Car should be ready for delivery in time for full tax break!

Again woohoo!! B)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Aug 21 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]306943[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent. The blue is a beautiful color. Do you know whether the interior is gray or ivory?

I used to have leather in my last car but I must say I'm sold on the Prius cloth. It cleans up really great. If you want to save money (since you've upgrade to a higher package) pass on the leather. I don't think you'll regret it. And if you change your mind later, you can always get it done locally.

Congrats on finding the car and getting the unwanted package removed. I think you'll be happy with a #6. I like my factory mats and cargo cover. Definately side air bags. Read the post on the totaled Prius that was T-boned.

11. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 21 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]306956[/snapback]</div>
    The interior is grey and thanks for the good wishes. I'm interested in your positive comments on the Prius cloth since in the "what I hate about my Prius thread" the quality/durability of the cloth upholstery seemed to be one of the things that people disliked.

Thanks again for the nice words I'm excited! :D

Take care,

Steve

12. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Aug 21 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]306943[/snapback]</div>
    Shehecheyanu. Just in time for the New Year. I took delivery of mine on Erev Rosh HaShanah.

13. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Aug 21 2006, 03:48 PM) [snapback]306963[/snapback]</div>
    Grey! Fabulous. I wanted gray.

14. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Aug 21 2006, 07:24 PM) [snapback]307062[/snapback]</div>
    Nice! Thanks!

:)

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 21 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]307077[/snapback]</div>
    Shows dirt a little less, I hope? ;)

15. NC_Convert

NC_Convert New Member

Need some advice / opinions on the colors. I'm between the Seaside Pearl and the Barcelona Red. Any opinions? I've only been able to see the blue on in person and the red from pictures posted here and on the Toyota site. Either one would be with the beige interior.
    Make shopping hard when you can't see what you're ordering...

16. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobN @ Aug 22 2006, 12:43 PM) [snapback]307551[/snapback]</div>
    For what it's worth, they both look sharp in person.

Take care,

Steve

17. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Aug 21 2006, 03:31 PM) [snapback]306943[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats! A point about leather in Austin - if you don't mind leaving layers of skin behind when you rip yourself loose from it in the summer (assuming you ever want to drive in shorts), it's ok. I had it in my old Suburban, and found it gawdawful hot and sticky. I've only had my Prius a month, with the grey cloth interior, and it's pretty nice. BTW, if you decide to get the windows tinted, the guys at SunBusters (Research just south of Duval) did a great job ($200 to $400 depending on whoopie-ness of tint).

18. hurst

hurst New Member

Wow, same as the one I just got yesterday. I am convinced the Seaside Pearl Option #6 is the best combination. The leather is too much extra, but due to the cloth being subject to wear, I got the interior protection warranty pkg offered by the dealer.

Congratulations. :) I am glad you didn't have to choose between an overpriced base model and an unnecessary high end one.

19. rebbi

rebbi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(glenhead @ Aug 22 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]307570[/snapback]</div>
    Good advice from a fellow Austinite, thanks! :lol:
    And thanks for the window tinting advice. Do you find the window tint noticably beneficial in this heat? And how's it look?

Take care,

Steve

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NorfolkSeasidePrius @ Aug 23 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]308569[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, and good for you, too! ;) When do you expect to take delivery?

Best regards,

Steve

20. glenhead

glenhead New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rebbi @ Aug 23 2006, 09:33 PM) [snapback]308622[/snapback]</div>
    I think it looks really nice - we went with the "whoopie-est" level, the 30% transmittance ceramic stuff from FormulaOne. I didn't want the tint to interfere with my ham radio signals when I use a hand-held. It allegedly cuts quite a bit of the infrared (60%?), which is allegedly the prime contributor to heat. There is quite a noticeable difference pre- and post-tint - not so much when it sits (they all get just as hot when sitting) but when driving, the insolation is cut to a tolerable level. I still need to post pics - I'll try to remember to shoot a couple and get them posted.