1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with aftermarket GPS.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SLO Cat Wrangler, May 22, 2009.

1. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hello everyone. I just installed a Garmin 265TW into our prius. From the start I have had problems as the satellite reception is pretty bad. I thought that the receiver maybe the problem so I got another one. Still have poor reception. Anyone have suggestions about different gps units that might work better in a prius?

I got it primary because it has a bluetooth speaker that we can use with our phones.

Thanks for any help.
    Steve

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where did you install it in your Prius?
    The best place is to attach it to the windshield so that the signal goes thru the glass, not getting absorbed by the metal roof. Try that.
    I had a Navigon once. It started up much faster when it was exposed to the sky (i.e. placed it under on the dash, not near the center console.

3. SLO Cat Wrangler

SLO Cat Wrangler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    At first I placed it to the left of the center console, then I though that maybe the "electrical console" was causing interference, so I moved it to the left side of the dash. I'll post a picture tonight.

The best place is to attach it to the windshield so that the signal goes thru the glass, not getting absorbed by the metal roof. Try that.

That makes sense, however if I mount it on the glass it will be really hard to touch to do things like answer the phone, select destinations, and other manipulations. I also need just a little more cord to get it to reach based on how I have mounted.

I had a Navigon once. It started up much faster when it was exposed to the sky (i.e. placed it under on the dash, not near the center console.[/quote]

Thanks for the help

Steve