1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with digital camera problem

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TheForce, Nov 4, 2009.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a Sony F828 digital camera and I gave a problem with it. I have had this problem for over a year now and I want to try to fix it.

The problem I have is there is something on or wrong with the CCD. Ever picture I take I has a string of pixels that are just black. To me it looks like it might be dust on the CCD but I'm not 100% sure since I have never seen any thing like it and I'm not a camera expert.

Here is a cropped section of the 8MP image that has the issue.

[​IMG]

So if this is dust do you have any tips on how to clean it? This camera looks like an SLR but it not so the lens is not easily removable. At least I dont see a way unless I take the whole camera apart.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That does look like it is probably dust or lint on the sensor. In a sealed camera like that, one of the advantages is that the sensor rarely gets dirty or damaged. The disadvantage is that if it does get something on it you have to send it in for cleaning.

If the camera is still under warranty it my be covered as a service item. If not, then it'l probably be pretty costly to have cleaned. Since the area involved is tiny and probably only is noticable in shots of solid/unbroken color you can try to live with it and/or photoshop it out when it is a distraction.

I have about 700 photos from a trip to Scotland where I had lint on the sensor and could not get it cleaned during the trip (didn't bring my stuff-stupidly). It affected maybe 50 photos enough to bother me and was an easy edit on most of those since it was solid even color sky in most of them.

3. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I did have a Mack 5 year warranty with the camera. Dont know if it covered dust but it ran out at the beginning of the year anyway. Guess I should have looked into it sooner.

I did manage to find the service manual for my camera but it does not show how to get to the CCD. From the looks of it its part of the lens unit. Dont know if I can separate it to get to the CCD or not. Wont know until I try. I just dont know if I want to go that far with it or not. Its still a good camera and a replacement is still expensive.

The only really down side is that the dust still shows up pretty bad in the movie mode and that is pretty hard to disguise in something like Premiere or After Effects.

Maybe I'll just save up for that Canon 5D Mark II. :D The f828 is getting a little out dated anyway.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well last night I said the hell with it and took my camera apart. It was pretty easy to do. Here is what I found.

I was able to get to the CCD but there is a problem. I don't know how DSLR are made but you cant clean the actual CCD on my camera. There is a gasket on the CCD chip that has a glass plate on top of it. The Glass plate was removable. The gasket was sealed onto the CCD chip housing. The CCD chip housing has a glass window which is glued to the housing which seals the CCD. The POS dirt is laying on the CCD under the sealed glass. There is no way I can clean it. a

I'm going to try to contact Sony to see how much a CCD is for my camera just for giggles. I'm willing to bet if I can get one its going to cost over $200. If I can get one for $100 or less I might get one.