1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with iPhone phonebook transfer

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by squidsmom, May 16, 2009.

1. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am a newbie, and I have searched PriusChat for this info. Unfortunately, all the info I've found here is 2 yrs. old, so I'm hoping there is some more up-to-date information to be had. If there is nothing more current, flame on, and tell me to read the old stuff.

I have a 2009 Prius (I got it mid-April) with all the bells and whistles. I just got an iPhone 3G for Mother's Day. I am pretty much technologically challenged.

Is there any way to transfer my phonebook from my iPhone to the Prius? I want to be able to utilize my handsfree capabilities to their fullest. I was able to do this with my old phone, a basic Nokia.

Any and all help is gratefully accepted. Please word any replies as if you were speaking to the Village Idiot. As I said, I'm technologically challenged. Thanks.

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Using the suggestion above: "no"

I too have an iPhone 3G and can not transfer the phone book information. The reason the information on the board is two years old is that there has been no change since then. There is rumor that this ability will be added with the version 3.0 software upgrade later this summer.

Before you ask, no one knows why Apple decided to not have this functionality in the iPhone.

I realize that was not the answer you were looking for but all the same, welcome to Priuschat!! :welcome:

3. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WOW, that seems awfully shortsighted on the part of Apple, no?

So, is this to say that I have to enter into the Prius all the phone numbers I may want to call. . . manually? God, you figure you spend all that money on a top-of-the-line phone, and it would have at least the same capabilities of a basic phone.

Thanks for the welcome, and for the info, even if it wasn't what I was hoping to hear.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In your searching, you might have found information on how to transfer the information using a bluetooth laptop. Unfortunately, this is another Apple quandary because no one has been able to get it to work on a MacBook so I'm stuck again.

I'm currently looking for a coworker with a bluetooth-enabled Windows laptop.

5. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I did find that document, and ascertained while reading it that it wouldn't work with my MacBook.

Bummer. This is really making me mad.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing to do with phones, but I have to ask. Squid's Mom? Any relation to the infamous Mystery Squid who once haunted these parts?

7. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *groan* No... and here I thought my username would be unusual enough as not to be associated with someone else. I've used this username elsewhere in my life for years.

Is Mystery Squid a 'good' squid or a 'bad' squid? LOL

8. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Depended on the day.

9. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I know the 3.0 operating system will fix this with a 2010. I guess I don't know or don't remember if it will fix the problem with Gen II cars.

10. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At the risk of this being an ignorant question, do you think either the Toyota dealership or Apple stores would know? Any clue how I'd find out? Sorry for my total cluelessness.

11. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Both the phone and the car unit have to support a particular protocol. My vague recollection is it is still not going to work with Gen II, but there are people on this forum that know the bluetooth particulars pretty well. I suspect they'll show up to enlighten us!

1 person likes this.
  12. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed, bluetooth has many (more than 25) different protocols (i.e., ways to communicate with paired devices) with still more on the way. Apple chose (for some good and some bad reasons) to support only a very limited number (4) of these on the iPhone at least until the 3.0 software due in June. The required protocol for phone book transfers to work in the current Prius is called Object Push Protocol (OPP). This is not one of the 4 Apple included. They did put in Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP). You can see this in action as the Prius reports the phone number of an incoming call that it reads live from the iPhone and of course Hands-Free Profile (HFP) so the phone does work in the car. Apple also thoughtfully included Synchronization Profile (SYNCH) which is a bluetooth implementation of the old infrared specification for contact transfer. So, if you get a bluetooth adapter for your old Palm Zire 72 you could sync away...

One likely reason OPP was not supported originally was Apple’s contact management system allows multiple phones numbers per entry and as you can see reading through the forum, that causes lots of problems as most phones and their standard vCard contact layout does not. OPP is also dumb in that it is entirely push – no syncing. The client just takes whatever is sent to it. That works great for photos and simple documents, but provides no real synchronization of contact information like is done over IMAP or other more sophisticated protocols. Such a crass way of communicating was likely considered “beneath” the capabilities of the iPhone.

As a side note, however the Prius's version of OPP is not completely standard and that is why its functionality with many phones is not perfect.

As for it working when the 3.0 software comes out in June? I’ve not seen anywhere in print where Apple has confirms support for OPP in that software. They are touting new support for the Advanced Audio Distribution profile (A2DP) so one can listen to the built in iPod over bluetooth headphones and car stereos that support it, but I’ve not seen a statement showing full OPP support. As I mentioned above, you would have to solve the multiple phone number issue to start with for it to work at all.

Several people here at PriusChat have said this will work with iPhone 3G on the 2010 Prius. No one has provided any specifics of what bluetooth protocol both devices will share to make it work, so I'm not as confident.

I guess we’ll see what actual protocols Apple suppports when version 3.0 of the software is released.

3 people like this.
  13. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Someone at Toyota confirmed iphone transfer of contacts works with the Venza, which has the same new Nav/stereo.

14. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, am I to understand that the 2010 Prius and the Venza have the same nav/stereo? That would mean I'm SOL with my 2009 Prius, right?

15. ggood

ggood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1. Yes on venza
    2. Based on post above, I think we still don't know if the 2009 will work with 3.0.

16. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I hope not because I would be doubly-SOL with my 2004.

Cross those fingers |X|

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There are aftermarket stereos that have bluetooth capability, so that might be an option for some.

18. leogirl75

leogirl75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    3.0 was released yesterday from Apple, I will try to see if works now. I've had my 2009 prius for a few months and have been waiting to connect my iphone. Will let you know how it goes.

19. squidsmom

squidsmom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much. I really appreciate all your help.

Now, if you'll indulge the technological village idiot, what do I have to do to download the 3.0 to my iPhone?

20. Teknolust

Teknolust New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Connect your iPhone to your computer via USB, launch iTunes and select the Check for Updates button. It should detect that 3.0 is available and walk you through the process of downloading.

I will say I am not confident that OS 3.0 is the key to getting this going, and may be a limitation of the Bluetooth in the older model stereos. The reason why I say this, I was able to pair my iPhone 3G with the Navigation system in my 2010 Prius IV NV and transfer contacts successfully before I upgraded to OS 3.0 (was running 2.2.1 I believe it was). Its worth a shot though, definitely post your results.

1 person likes this.