1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with my taxes!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Bill Lumbergh, Jan 20, 2006.

1. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've cruised through the data entry and interview process of a couple websites now, and none have asked whether I've purchased a hybrid vehicle this year. I know it entitles me to a larger refund, but I can't find a site (yet) that will ask the question and make the changes?

Am I doomed to visiting the local H&R Block? I'd rather not....

2. Springtime

Springtime Member

If you itemize your deductions, I think I saw it listed under misc. deductions. I am using a copy of Turbo tax so I do remember seeing it - just not sure where. I also believe that even if you do not itemize you can take the deduction - just not sure which line on the 1040. I don't use the on line version - so I can't help you with that.

I would search the IRS web site for form 1040 and query hybrid deduction. That should tell you on which line the information should appear on your tax return.

Springtime

3. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Before going to H&R Block consider Turbo Tax. I bought it in December and couldn't find the question, but when I downloaded the update last week, it asked about buying a hybrid. TTax only costs about $35 v. $350 that I paid(once) at H&R Block.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  5. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found it! I used www.taxslayer.com last year and again this year. Took a bit of searching, but I did find what I was looking for, and I verified that it displayed properly on the 1040.

After entering all of your income info, select ADJUSTMENTS from the main menu. Select OTHER ADJUSTMENTS. Listed in the drop-down menu will be Clean-Fuel, which denotes our hybrids. The amount is $2000 for those who purchased in 2005.

The irs.gov website has an error. "Individuals must use Form 1040, not one of the shorter forms, to claim this deduction. They should put "Clean-Fuel" and the deduction amount on the dotted line to the left of line 35, including this amount in that line's total adjustments to income." The correct line is actually Line 36. Line 35 has no dotted line.

I highly recommend TaxSlayer.com! I got my refund last year prior to January 31st and I'll get it even faster this year.