1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need help with Outlook pretty quick

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Nov 29, 2007.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just on the off-chance someone can help me...

I was in the middle of composing an e-mail in Outlook, and had to close it out quickly. I thought it was saved, but when I went back, I cannot find it in any of the folders. Is there any way I can get back the message I was working on?

I haven't had much success searching Help, and I'm grasping at straws!

Thanks --

Marjorie.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I would check in two places: "Drafts" and "Deleted Items". Outlook does periodically save your work as you type, and if you close out of something after saving, it should go into drafts. if you close out without saving, but if outlook had previously autosaved, then it'll go into "deleted items".

hope this helps :)

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    probably gone. it would be in the drafts folder in outlook unless you specifically save it somewhere else.

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    probably gone. it would be in the drafts folder in outlook unless you specifically save it somewhere else.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, sorry. Probably gone.

For future reference, follow these steps:
    1 - Tools -> Options
    2 - Click the Preference tab
    3 - Click the [Email Options] button
    4 - Check "Automatically save unsent messages

Even with my setting checked as above, when I attempt to close Outlook it asks if I want to save the unsent message.

6. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you everybody so much for your help. Hell of a way to learn a lesson! :(

Peace --

Marjorie.

7. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Nov 29 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]545828[/snapback]</div>
    Okay -- I got as far as Tools, and Options. At that point there wasn't a Preference tab. I looked under every tab and couldn't find anything that resembled "Automatically Save unsent messages." Any suggestions?

Oh yeah, I have Outlook Express -- would that be the reason i can't change this setting?

Many, many thanks --

Marjorie.

8. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Just some thoughts, I would create a test email message and do what you did when you lost the draft. It may still be there, especially if Word is its default editor. It may save it as an rtf document and it could be in the temp folders. The test message would allow you to locate it by searching temp folders for something that was created around the time that you closed out Outlook Express. Do you even see the draft folder? If not, it may just not be in your view. Check the view options to see if any folders aren't being displayed yet. Check the sent folder to make sure that it didn't send it. When you closed out Outlook Express, did it show a dialog box asking if you wanted to save it? You can also do an advanced search looking for emails created on the day that you "lost" it.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i do not know...outlook express is good at closing without asking if you want to save...it has none of the standard word processing safe guards built in