1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need information on replacing stock navigation unit

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by mbze430, Nov 28, 2018.

1. mbze430

mbze430 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    Have a 2014 Prius C IV with the Nav unit. It recently stopped triggering the rear view camera (added in). Took it to an car audio shop, and they put a new camera and still doesn't trigger it (it doesn't even move to the rear camera view, essentially does nothing). They also tested the wires that supposed to trigger the radio when put in reverse and they said it does have power running it when put in reverse.

Their diagnostic is that the Navigation unit is bad.

I checked Ebay and these things are going for over $350+

For $350+ decided to maybe get those Chinese Android 8.x head units

So here are my questions. Does anyone have experience with replacing the stock navi with these Chinese Android headunits? I wanted to find out how to retain the steering wheel controls with these Android headunits. The trip and car information that displayed on the stock navi isn't that important, but if there is a headunit that support that please let me know.

Is there a specific installation kit (hardness) that I need for the navigation unit?

Last question, does the car have ampifiers or the speakers are powered by the navigation unit?

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I only put an ordinary carplay stereo in mine, but I'll help where I can.

No external amps. All speakers are driven from the integrated amp in the head unit. There are 6 speakers but you'll only see connections for four in there- the front door tweeters are split off downstream in the distribution wiring.

You can almost certainly use the Metra double-DIN mount kit for the Prius C. It's mostly a matter of confirming that the android unit you want is true double-DIN format.

I'm not sure what you'll really need for the steering wheel controls, sorry. Probably an adapter box that reads the Toyota buttons and outputs it in a format appropriate for a major-brand aftermarket unit like Pioneer or Sony, and then set the android to receive the same. This is just an educated guess.

I don't know about getting the stock display info working on the android, but you will be able to re-create at least some of that experience by running an android automotive app on the head unit and making an extra connection to the OBDII port so it can pull engine data.

You will be working with multiple wire harnesses- the stock setup has several plugs on the back, and you'll need to adapt your new rig to attach to most if not all of them. So you'll probably want to get a few harness adapters so you can make up one proper adaptation harness. I don't know of any one single item that can do this, you'll be custom-making at least some portion of it but it shouldn't be too bad.

3. mbze430

mbze430 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    IV
    I guess the main isssue I have now is unable to find any information on the Steering Wheel control. If it uses CANBus to communicate or it's just analog signal.

Hopefully someone has more information on the steering wheel control. I have seen the Axxess AWC-1 module, but not sure if I need it.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Their ASWC-1 is the one I installed in mine back in May.

I used the AX-TOY28SWC cable harness with it. From the photo on that product page, it hasn't got enough pins to do analog SWC. By my count, 6 pins could carry power, 2 RCA tips and CAN.