1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need input on new Tires and MPG!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by DFWPrius, May 22, 2007.

1. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good day to you all.
    I have a 2007 standard model, new in Jan. and will have 3k miles on it by June.

I need input on the drop in MPG, if any when switching to Michelin Harmony tires?

I will most likely buy Michelin Destiny from Discount Tires.

I will stay with stock size 185/65-15.

I have research tires and I know that many will have input as to differnt tire brand name and models.

I would like just input from Prius owners who have switch to these tires.

Thank you for your time.

2. kcoruol

kcoruol Junior Member

Why buy a new set of tires after 3k miles?

Just curious.

Kcoruol

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kcoruol @ May 30 2007, 04:31 PM) [snapback]452291[/snapback]</div>
    Because the OEM tires are a crock of fertilizer.

As for Harmony's, I'm not sure. We have Micheline MXV4+ Energy in the stock size, and mileage is as good or better than the OEM crapola tires.

Tom

4. kcoruol

kcoruol Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 30 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]452406[/snapback]</div>
    One of my tires blew on the interstate after 2000 miles I think it was. Dealing with the dealer about it was a whole nother story.

5. Jim Biggs

Jim Biggs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kcoruol @ May 30 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]452507[/snapback]</div>
    I kept my OEM tires (2005 Prius) for 36,000 miles and replaced them with Michelin HydroEdge. Now 103,000 miles and time for a new set. Will not make the warranted 80,000 miles BUT I drive 3 miles of rough dirt road per day. No noticable change in MPG ran 44 PSI front 42 PSI rear.

6. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Hey DFW,

Bill from online, I apologize as I don't know his full last name gave me great informationa and will post it below for you to benefit from also.

I put Goodyear Assurance ComforTred 185/65R15 tires on the 2005, running them at 42/40 psi. Much quieter, great grip, no appreciable MPG hit. On the 2007, I put Pirelli CINTURATO P3000 190/60R15 tires, running at 40/38 right now. Quiet, fabulous grip, too soon to tell about MPG effect. I'm too frugal to switch perfectly good rims.

The ComforTred tires are the same size as the OEMs so no change in wheel revolutions per mile to throw off the speedometer, odometer, or nav system. While the Pirelli tires are wider with a shorter sidewall, they spin 855.6 revs per mile compared to the OEM 855 revs per mile, so essentially the same size wheel, and again, nothing thrown off. I can't tell about MPGs with the P3000s since both the car and tires aren't broken in yet, but I'm getting about 45.8 MPG with no effort and its still cool and wet.

I like both the ComforTred and P3000 tires. Do a search of tires on PriusChat and you'll have a ton of reading. I think the biggest factor in high MPG tires is low rolling resistance, but that is also the hardest factor to evaluate. Unlike tread wear and traction, LRR isn't standardized across the industry. In general, a tire with harder rubber, and hence, longer tread life, will have greater LRR, but I don't know of any absolute rules. The ComforTred has a rated life of 80,000 miles and the P3000 85,000 miles.
    :D

7. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I need tires too......

23k miles on the originals and the fronts are bald on the outer edge. Tire guy today tells me that's alignment issues!

So I was quoted a price with alignment and all the trimmings =
    $578
    Just Tires!

This just in....
    Discount Tires.....$50 cheaper overall

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bshef @ Jun 6 2007, 12:44 PM) [snapback]456754[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I was told by Les Schwab that bald on the outside is normal, and there was still plenty of life in the tires when they checked them. It of course it could also be due to under inflation. Of course, in either case that would be on both inner and outer edges, rather than just the outer edge.

I don't have any reason to doubt them, since they're in the business of selling tires.

Now, if it's really on only the outer edge, then it probably is an alignment issue.

Dave M.

9. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 30 2007, 08:04 PM) [snapback]452406[/snapback]</div>
    While they aren't the greatest tire ever made, I've probably put 40k miles on mine (hard to tell for sure since I use snow tires) and they've been just fine.

10. nyprius

nyprius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DFWPrius @ May 22 2007, 07:18 PM) [snapback]447640[/snapback]</div>
    I did a ton of research before upgrading the Prius OEM tires. It's shown in this post:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=21271&hl=

Bottom line: Using 195/60R15 tires improves safety, handling and looks, with little to no mileage loss.

Based on the tread design and other factors, I think the HydroEdge, Goodyear TripleTred or several other tires would provide superior traction on dry/wet/snow/ice conditions, compared to the Destiny. Destiny looks like a standard, low to mid cost tread design.