1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need legal, medical, auto advise after Prius got hit

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by shanghaiwind, Nov 12, 2010.

1. shanghaiwind

shanghaiwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am new.
    I had auto accident last week. My Prius IV 2010 is two months old. Sunny day, rash hour, left turn back up, I was stopped in left lane waiting for left turn, a kid in a Jeep didn't see me and rear ended me with full speed. I tried hard pressing the break not to hit the guy in front, but I later found out I tabbed him a little. He took off. The police gave him 2 points and 100% fault. The estimate damage is $10,000. Insurance said will change toyota parts on the back, but touch up on the front and side. Battery and all electrical work seems fine. SOS was on immediately. No airbags deployed. Toyota was not involved. I went to ER,I complained lower back and neck problem, however they did X-ray lower back. No broken bone, was giving pain killer + muscle relaxent and sent home. Within next 48 hours, I discovered lower back, towards left side pain, radiate to left leg numbness, tingling. Neck pain, board shoulder & back pain, radiate to left arm. Right write toward thumb pain when flex and writing. Top of the right foot, toward outside and close to ankle hurts. I have history of neck pain and back pain before but was fixed and symptom free for years. Now the symptoms are different. Orthopeadic surgeon prescribed 4 weeks 3x /week physical therapy. but won't do MRI until 4 weeks later. The PT doctor did inital assessment yesterday and says my sacrum is rotated to the left and wanted me to hold breath and he would give it a push. I stopped him. How would I convince my Orthopeadic doctor to give me a MRI before PT guy make it worst? I am a wrack these days, scare to drive small car, rental car is 4 door Subaru Impreza, but I am afriad of driving it. We are on the waiting list for switch into a SUV until it become avaiable, of course I would pay the difference. In the meantime, my husband is driving the rental car and I drive mini-van. I clenched teeth during the day, grinding teeth at night waking my husband up. So intense I got Jaw pain and headache. People said I have post traumatic stress disorder. The doctors are giving me Valinm and Xanax to relax at night. But still not stopping me from bitting my teeth. I don't want to become drug addicticted. People suggested I need to see psychologist and neuologist for the numbness and tingling of the arm and leg. I am afriad if I am taking so many leaves, I am going to loose my job or affect my performance.

I am in no fault state. I was told that I have verbal/limited threshold insurance. My insurance pay for medical minus deductable, co-pay. The other driver pay auto repair minus my deductable. My insurance pay very little on rental car, I cover the rest. I can see I am going to end up big bill, not to mention the reduce in price on new car and carfax accident report is there when I try to resell.
    What should I do at this point? Do I go to the other insurance ask for compensation the difference of new Prius, whatever the out of pocket expense in medical and rental car?
    What if I don't have permanent damage, meaning after PT, Epidural injection, I get better, do I have a case to go after the guy for pain and suffering?
    Does anyone have similar accident in no fault state? What is the compensation you get without lawyer and with lawyer involved?
    What should I do when I do get the car back, should I sell it or it is safe as new to drive it? Thanks so much.

2. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The best advice, seek an attorney and go from there.

3. kwasmart

kwasmart cool member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    on the side of mechanical- please careful as the car will come back w/ more problems..let them total the ride and go get another. the initial 10k will go up pretty soon as soon as the remove panels and wires

4. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    +1!!! Consult a professional, not the internet!

2 people like this.
  5. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Seriously, you will find plenty of people here willing to offer their $.02, but you need the advice of a real professional...

6. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Free legal advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. Nothing!

7. davesrose

davesrose Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well it sounds like you're going to be covered for the car troubles. The thing about attorneys are it's going to take time, energies, and possibly money to get resolved. If you're looking for just compensation with the car, I'd suggest just going through your insurance for that. For back pain, I'm affraid that will be a chronic thing.

I have some medical background, and I can see why the orthopedist wants to wait awhile before the MRI: it can take awhile for your spine to settle. For now, it could be soft tissue inflamation causing numbness and pain in your nerves. If your lower back/ legs are giving you more pain then anything else, then it won't hurt to get your sacrum adjusted. But I suspect it's more systematic if you're also having upper body pain.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The police issued a summons to the other driver. You'll want to keep yourself posted regarding the progress of the case. There is a very good chance that ticket will be negotiated down to something like "obstructing traffic" with a guilty plea. No points & a relatively small fine.

If you have $10,000 of body damage in the rear the car is not going to be totalled and nobody is going to swap out undamaged body panels. Are you happy with the shop that provided the estimate? Get a second opinion (estimate) from the local Toyota dealer's body shop. If the car is properly repaired you won't have a problem with it. If you don't want to continue driving it then sell it or trade it. If you are planning on a trade try to get documentation from the dealer regarding current value vs. value before the collision. This will be part of your claim against the other driver.

Are you going through your insurance or the at-fault driver's? If you go through the other party's you shouldn't have out of pocket expenses for the rental or your collision deductible. If you go through your policy the other company will pay for your deductible after the fact and you'll have to file a claim for the rental balance to them. The rental can be direct billed to the insurance company.

Which insurance companies are you dealing with?

The verbal threshold in your policy means that you can't sue for pain & suffering & medical expenses unless one of the circumstances as specified in your policy is met.

Accupuncture may help. Explore all options.

It doesn't cost anything to shop for a lawyer. Talk to more than one. The compensation amount will depend on how well YOU document your injuries & loss. Remember that the burden of proof is on YOU.

Yes, I have collision experience in NJ and my friend Joe was T-boned with spinal injuries about 10 years ago.

God bless.

1 person likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't see how switching to an SUV will help anything? He probably wouldnt have stopped for anything if it was there. SUVs are usually more dangerous than cars, and the Prius is not a small car...

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worse than that, some of the free advice has negative value.

12. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    --I am surprised at some of the posts , yes this is a free discussion board, of course its understood any advise should be evaluated and checked, the poster shows some mental stress over the accident, criticism over posting the event here is the last thing she needs.

We are on the waiting list for switch into a SUV until it become available, of course I would pay the difference.
    What should I do when I do get the car back, should I sell it or it is safe as new to drive it? Thanks so much.

I'd respect my feelings on this matter- if memories of the accident are still stressing you, I certainly consider trading to a larger, heavier vehicle that you feel safer driving in-test drive and due some research on this first.
    I had an accident years ago that I recall pretty vividly, it simply took time for the emotions around it to decrease. Talking to a professional about the event would of course be a good idea. ( In a small way posting here can be helpful, I see the worst part of the accident was the lack of control you had, so the more control you can develop over the issue the better ) . Consider this, I am a better driver because of my previous accident, too many people can have a thoughtless attitude on the roads, and from reading your post you certainly won't be one of them (not that you were before) . Best wishes .

13. shanghaiwind

shanghaiwind New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Thank you so much for all of you who replied. My orthopedic doctor report shows C3-4 herniate disc (pre-existing), C4/5/6 having new problem, the entire shoulder blade and neck pain radiated to left arm. Today I discover the chest pain radiated from the back pain. PT doctor says scarum rotated to the left and that explain pain on lower back and numbness tingling on left leg. I have doctor appointment for right foot and right arm lined up. I am expecting orthopedic doctor call me back and try to convince him for MRI before 4 weeks of PT. I have talked to lawyer, unless there is permanent damage, he will drop the case since "verbal threshod". Lawyer doesn't handling car issue. The insurance initially said they would use all Toyota new part. However I caught in the estimate $10k+ was based on equivalent parts. I talked to autobody shop, the rear bumper they will use refurbished part. I refused. The front they won't replace, will try to fix it, if I am not satisfied, then they will consider replacement. They will give lifetime garuantee from the autobody shop and my insurance (to any state) as long as I own the car. It seems everything is a struggle. I still have to make appointment with psychologist and neurologist. As for rental car, we don't know the out-of-pocket money will be covered or not by the other insurance. We still don't know if our insurance would fight for us to get co-pay, deductable or out of pocket money for rental back from the other insurance or not. If not, that is another fight. So I have been driving mini-Van for the time being. Feel bad the kids are riding smaller car with their Dad.

It has been a lot and happen so fast to me. Thank you all who helped me go through this tough time.

BTW, for 15+ years, I had no accident. I took defense driving, and as result the insurance reduce rate for us. But you never know what others are doing even you are being careful. It is crazy world.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It was never my intention to criticize the OP for posting. Merely to warn against acting on the basis of legal advice given over the internet. The law is a complicated, convoluted, and irrational construct. Common sense does not apply. Only a professional can even begin to assess the legal ramifications of an incident.

Shanghaiwind: I am very sorry about your accident. I hope I did not sound insensitive when I advised you not to take legal advice here. I hope you recover completely from your injuries.

15. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    shanghaiwind, yes, everything is probably going to be a struggle and you need to be at the top of your game while you are injured. It sounds like you are having the car repaired at the indy shop. At least get a quote from the Toyota dealer's body shop. You have the right to have the car repaired wherever you want. With all the extra stuff in the car I would lean toward the dealer.

"As for rental car, we don't know the out-of-pocket money will be covered or not by the other insurance. We still don't know if our insurance would fight for us to get co-pay, deductable or out of pocket money for rental back from the other insurance or not. If not, that is another fight."

This sounds like you are having your insurance company handle everything. Did you open a claim with the other insurance company? If they aren't liable based on the other driver's policy then you have a Small Claims case against the driver. This kind of stuff is routine so I wouldn't expect you to have a hassle.

Don't let this get to you.

16. lizmariecat

lizmariecat New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    good luck--I was hit Friday, Dec 3 and waiting to get some action from other driver's insurance. mine is a 2005 and NEW to me...got my Prius in Sept and am/was looking forward to many years and payments ahead, ha ha. Husband and I had no injuties that I am aware of but rear bumper nearly falling off, hatch won't open and automatic loks a little squirrelly--anybody out there with some expreince....I'm hoping a really good reapir will do the trick...take care

17. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find a Accident Attorney ASAP......

It was the other guys fault, YOU SHOULD PAY NOTHING!!!

You really need to seek professional help!!!

1 person likes this.
  18. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you seriously qualify for "pain and suffering" for your injuries and "diminished value" due to damage of your vehicle, which will always be on it's records. That's the first thing dealers and informed buyers check for when you're trading it in or selling it. Consult a good attorney.

19. JimN

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Not in NJ. One attorney already said there's no case.

20. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I highly recommend you get a second opinion. If you're not at fault, you should be out of pocket nothing if the other guy was caught, unless he had no insurance. Don't let your insurance company claim you need to pay out of pocket - that should come from the other guy.