1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

need maintenace plan advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by sciguy125, Jul 18, 2009.

1. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I just got back from the dealer with my new car. I bought the prepaid maintenance because the finance guy told me that if the car is serviced (fluids, filters, etc) by anyone other than a certified technician, I will void the warranty. That sounded outragous to me, but after asking him to confirm a couple times I just went with it (he dazzled me with babble about how it's a high tech car).

Now, looking at the maintenance guide, it says that I can have it serviced by anyone, even myself without voiding the warranty.

Did I just get conned?

2. jefwoe

jefwoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yes... you have been conned.

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd just like to ask you, have you ever considered the prestige and pride that comes with owning ones own bridge? Right now, I could set you up with a beautiful Brooklyn located classic...

Well, you really answered your own question. Best case scenario, you could complain and ditch the maintenance plan. Worst case, you now have pre-paid maintenance. There are worse things inwhich one could be conned into.

Hopefully you can enjoy the car, and the maintenance plan. I think you might have time to cancel the plan, even though I've heard that it is a struggle once you've signed on the line.

If you can't, my advice is to use the plan at another dealership. Why support one that was unethical (imo) in misrepresenting the reality of maintenance plan? I do believe it is fully transferable and can be used at any Toyota Dealership.

5. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I truly can't believe you bought that salesman's BS. I would ask for my money back. I am sure you have a time frame that you entitles you to cancel. Otherwise you were ripped of BIG TIME.

6. jefwoe

jefwoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    look at the bright side... now you don't have to worry getting oil on the driveway of your ocean front home in Arizona.

7. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. sciguy125

sciguy125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In his defence, I don't think he ever explicitly said that I will void the warranty by changing the oil myself. I think he just carefully worded his responses to my questions to make it sound that way. I'm sure he also had some sort of legal obligation to do so. There's a difference between the OFFICIAL statement and what ACTUALLY happens. The warranty does say that improper maintenance can void the warranty. In reality, unscrewing the oil plug probably won't matter. I run into this sort of thing at work all the time (granted, we tend to be more transparent about it). I guess the issue was that he had incentive to let me believe that I can't perform my own maintenance.

Anyway, it says that I can cancel at any time. But I only have 60 days to get a full refund (minus any claims I make). I'm going back some time next week to have some stuff taken care of, so I guess I'll cancel it then. If he gives me trouble, it also says that I can just submit the cancel request in writing to some address.

9. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You sure did!

My 2010 came with an "Owner Rewards package" with which I get my first two oil changes ... with synthetic oil ... for free. The service plan they were selling covered 3 years or 36,000 miles for about $900. In 36,000 miles ... by the book ... the car will need 7 (seven) services. If the first two are free ... then you would be paying $180 EACH for the other 5, under their plan.

$180 for an oil change???? I don't think so.

1 person likes this.
  10. bps

bps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'd head back quickly and get your money back...

Bryan

11. Martin37

Martin37 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Was it P. T. Barnum who said "There is a sucker born every minute"? :p Really, think of it as "What the F..., it's prepaid and I don't have to worry about it" unless of course you paid more than the same, exact, official Toyota plan available thru PC for under $900. :thumb::pound:Sorry 'sciguy', couldn't contain myself! [​IMG]

12. RichardUSA

RichardUSA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    yep!!!

13. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the OP -

I "fell into the same trap" as did you. I canceled my maintenance plan (after consulting with the folks here on PC) and, I have to say, they (Toyota Financial or whatever they call themselves) didn't try hard to talk me out of my decision. You have until 30 days after purchase for a refund, in full, in most states. After that point, they charge you a $25 processing fee and pro-rate the refund.

When I read what the fine print (on the coupons they send out in the mail, after the deal is made), it really did boil down to oil changes, cabin air filter changes, and maybe a couple of other things at the 15/30/45K intervals. So, my advice would be to cancel it. Good luck.

Tim