1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need new rubber - Conti ExtremeContact DWS?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Qyota, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Qyota

Qyota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Before winter really comes on, our 2010 Prius V will need new rubber. Current tires are 215/45/17, Ecopias. I want to try something else. We get long winters here (northern MN), so snow and ice handling is important, but I don't want a dedicated snow tire just yet.

Thinking about the Conti ExtremeContact DWS, in either 215/45/17, or the slightly narrower 205/50/17. Reviews are favorable on both sizes, but I'm wondering about road noise. This is driven primarily by my wife, and she's looking for something quieter. I know it can be hard to "have it all" (quiet AND better snow grip)...

Thanks for your thoughts!

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The DWS is generally a well reviewed tire. I had them on another vehicle and disliked it quite a lot, but that was due to its handling characteristics which did not match the capabilities of that vehicle. On the Prius it would probably go unnoticed, and may actually be an improvement to the stock tires. Noise was average for the type of tire, not bad enough to let that sway me. It does have above average snow grip when new. It is not LRR, so I would expect it to drag your mileage down several miles per gallon.

Are you sure you want to avoid full winter tires? In your location it could have a vast impact on how comfortable you or your wife feels on slippery roads, and the overall cost difference can be relatively small if you intend on keeping the vehicle a while.

3. Qyota

Qyota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for your insight.

I actually DO want a set of cheap wheels with snow tires, to be used seasonally. And I may still go that route, but will then have to revisit the "summer tire" needs in the spring. We intend on keeping the car for a long time. We've had it for 2 years, and put on nearly 45K in that time.

4. Qyota

Qyota Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Looks like TireRack wants $572 + shipping and tax for cheapo 15" steel wheels (which I'm totally fine with), and 195/65-15 Blizzaks. Would probably come to at least $700 total. That does NOT include TPMS...which I know means that light in the dash will be on constantly.

5. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The General Altimax Arctic is a perfectly good winter tire and $70 each vs. the $89 for the Blizzak. The cost of the tires is equalized over time because each set wears at half the rate. You do absorb the cost of the wheels, but that's $220 - ie. just about nothing over the life of the vehicle. Even at your mileage you'll likely get 3 seasons from the set. Is it worth $75 a winter season to have a much safer vehicle? It sure is to me.