1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need paint brand and color recommendation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by RBLevin, Mar 19, 2016.

1. RBLevin

RBLevin New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have a 2015 Prius 3 that I took delivery of just a few weeks ago. While in a garage last week, I opened the hatch and didn't realize that the black back spoiler was hitting a concrete horizontal beam that was too low. Probably did that a few times as we were running back and forth from various markets and putting the bags in the trunk. The result: A nice 1/2" abrasion on my new Prius.

It's not a big deal, but I'd like to cover it up. I've seen paint markers sold online, some with the Toyota brand. According to the reviews, these are nice and easy for small touch ups. My questions: (1) How do I find out the color code of the black spoiler, and (2) do you have any recommendations for paint touch up products that are good for a non-mechanical person (like me)?

Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Any gloss black will do. I've used a Dupli-Color brush applicator. The part no was NG SF 100 Universal Black. Try smoothing it out with a little pumice or polishing compound first.

If you're parking in a garage with a roll up door, put some foam insulation (pipe insulation for example) on the trailing arm, whatever's the lowest. Sooner or later you will have a lapse and run it into the (raised) hatch. Don't ask how I know. :oops:

#2 Mendel Leisk, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
    mrlebop likes this.
  3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The rear spoiler isn't painted. It's black plastic. I would use a plastic paint, gloss black.