1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Need Photo ID To Vote?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yesterday, Democrats on the California Senate elections committee failed to pass such a bill.

The local #1 TV new channel did an internet survey on the subject.
    http://www.thekcrachannel.com/news/4354196/detail.html

91% said yes, Californians should be required to show I.D. at the poles.

Just who are these Democrats representing???

"In looking at (the bill), I don't know that this is the solution,"
    said Sen. Gloria Romero, D-Los Angeles.

. . . critics noted that Cox's bill would do nothing to eliminate fraudulent registration.

NO, it would just eliminate fraudulent VOTING! :roll:

It’s this type of crappy leadership by the deep dark blue ingrained Democrat state
    representatives which is helping transform California into a red state.

2. chanterelle

chanterelle Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Election fraud is everybody's business. Why are you blaming just the Democrats? I would hate to think that the Democrats are the only ones who are against fighting election fraud.

And don't forget that there are usually other provisions included in bills that can doom the whole thing, even if the main goal is worthy. Riders are generally either irrelevant or so outrageous that you can't vote for the bill even if you believed strongly in the main part.

But I agree that the election system needs to be overhauled. What we have now doesn't really work that well.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The right wing zealots are at it again.

There is no credible documentation of election fraud in California. Period. This is a fix for a problem that does not exit. Present law provides that when voter identity fraud is suspected, that voter can be challenged and then only cast a provisional ballot which will not be counted unless and until the issue is resolved.

On the other hand, there is plenty of documentation of eligible voters who were improperly denied the right to vote due to Republican shenanigans in the last two presidential election cycles in Florida and Ohio, to name just two states. Let's fix those real problems before we worry about imaginary ones.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why would you “hate to think that the Democrats are the only ones who are against fighting election fraud.†??? Did you misspeak, or do you think others should also be “against fighting election fraud†?

I blame the Democrats because they are the majority party in the state legislature, and are blatantly standing in the way of a common sense bill. 91% of the people in that pole say so . . . why are the Dems against it???

No, there were no other provisions . . . it was a stand alone bill before the state Senate Elections Committee.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/bill/sen/sb_...introduced.html

If you read it it is quite innocuous.

For example:
    © A voter who is unable to present proof of his or her identity or residency as required by this section shall be entitled to vote a provisional ballot . . .

Yet some ACLU moron testified saying . . . "We do think that this kind of scheme would create a burden on voters and result in long lines at the polls, would result in eligible voters not being able to cast their votes," said ACLU representative Vivek Malhotra.

Pure B.S.!!! In California, when the poles “close†the doors don’t slam shut . . . the end any line is tagged and everyone in line is allowed to vote.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    May I suggest that you look up the difference between poles and polls.

6. ssmithri

ssmithri New Member

In the founding times of the United States, our forefathers suffered great hardship to be involved in government. The journey from the home district to Congress was expensive and fraught with discomfort, peril, and pain. The pay was ridiculously low. Successful businessmen and farmers frequently neglected their growing enterprises to serve their country. But the participants were drawn to this cause out of duty and survival—and they gave willingly. At the end of their term, they gladly handed the hardship off to another, with the expectation that each was responsible for doing their duty. These values have been twisted and perverted to the point of being unrecognizable. The good government enacted by the founders has been manipulated, distorted, and destroyed by self-serving political parties, professional politicians, and money.

Patrick... come on... everybody knows... the only thing you need to vote is a load of cash.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"79516)</div>
    From the League of Women Voters web site . . . it is information is provided by State Senator Dick Ackerman . . . yes, a Republican.

16,000 fraudulent voter registration cards were discovered in Los Angeles County, in many cases with the names of people who did not even exist.

However, it was no surprise that these voter fraud prevention bills were killed by a Democratic-controlled Legislature before they ever made it to the Floor for a vote.

Unfortunately, the Democrats have not stopped at simply making it easier to commit voter fraud, they also want to make it easier for criminals to vote.

http://www.smartvoter.org/2000/11/07/ca/st...n_d/paper1.html

Left wing zealots are ignoring facts again.

8. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"79521)</div>
    Yep, I thought something looked funny there. :oops:
    Just couldn’t put my phinger on it. :wink:

9. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8)Sufferin' Prius Envy

The Motor Voter Registration Act made it easy for Illegal Aliens to register to vote. The only people eligible to vote in our national election are citizens. Our last remaining birth right. Unfortunately, we require no proof of citizenship at the time someone applies for a driver’s license. They are voting for political candidates in you city, county, state and federal elections.

10. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

If it's not a problem (I agree), there must be a system in place to keep voting honest. I remember! Election judges should be present to represent both (major) parties at every polling place. This is why I enjoy being a Democratic election judge (which I was last Tuesday) in a two-thirds Republican county (as of the 2004 primary).

Everyone in my county who has registered in person has produced ID and has signed the registration form. At every election after that, the digitized signature is printed on each Application to Vote. It's entertaining for the judges (we need something) to see the "real" signatures created alongside the digitized ones, and we tell people rummaging for their IDs that "all you need to bring is your signature."

For people who don't register in person, but by mail, things are tougher. No one has ever seen you the first time you vote (but your signature is there waiting for you to match), and you must present a photo ID that also has your signature. Just that first time.

But an election judge - or any person that happens to be present and voting - can challenge anyone about to vote. This results in a quick investigation that usually requires the voter to show ID and verify his/her home address. A majority of the election judges (in my county) determines whether the person is allowed to vote, or is allowed to vote on a Provisional ballot (which may be counted later, but is kept separately) because of the challenge that was upheld in the polling place.

I have never seen money at a polling place - even when one was in a bank LOL. But in brief, the people who are allowed to vote are those who have voted in a previous election. So get in the habit. And enjoy the power your vote has when many of your neighbors (in some areas) don't vote. [Without breaking confidentiality, I can say the turnout of last Tuesday and last November - COMBINED - was 96% in my precinct.]

11. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"79545)</div>
    Your link it to a political propaganda item that is over four years old. Do you have any recent information from a credible non partisan source to buttress your argument?

Besides, removeum makes a valid point. Any legal resident in the United States, including non citizens (Green Card holders, students here on student visas, etc.), can have a valid driver's license issued. Many who are here illegally have managed to obtain legitimate identifications as well. Unless a tamper proof national identification card proving citizenship is made available, this requirement of showing photo identification at polling sites is a complete exercise in futility designed to divert attention from the real problems of access to voting by all those who are eligible. We all know how the right wingers feel about a national identification card.

Lets concentrate on the real problem of making sure that everyone who is eligible to vote is afforded an opportunity to do so, so that the recent travesties experienced in Ohio and Florida are not repeated, before worrying about solutions to problems which do not exist.

12. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius\";p=\"79673)</div>
    Don’t blame me that the link I provided is over four years old! I was responding to your earlier post in which you said:“ . . .Republican shenanigans in the last two presidential election cycles . . .â€
    Your shenanigans charge is nothing more than unsubstantiated conspiracy theory.

“. . . travesties experienced in Ohio and Florida . . .â€
    Yes, Bush won in both Ohio and Florida, and to you that IS a travesty. :p . . . but it is still just conspiracy theory.

Where’s YOUR proof???

How about this one(?):

At least 452 felons voted illegally at the polls in Broward County on Nov. 7, casting more doubt on the effectiveness of state laws to protect the integrity of the ballot box, a Herald investigation has found.

Miami Herald

It is extremely difficult to prove voter fraud when I.D. is not required to either register to vote or to actually vote. If I wanted to vote in place of a recently incapacitated neighbor, I could just walk into the polling place and say his name and address. I have a copy of his signature . . . so that identification test would be easy to forge. But there is no way I would go through the hassle of forging an I.D. so I could vote in his place.

If I were an illegal alien -I know, you prefer the “Undocumented Immigrant†euphemism - . . . I would register to vote by mail and leave the ID portion blank. The only ID I would then have to provide at the poll is a utility bill. After the election cycle, I could then go to the Registrar of Voter’s office and receive a Voter ID card . . . complete with an raised county seal. That card and any legitimate foreign ID card would be all one would need to prove to an INS field agent that you are in the country legally as a dual citizen. A Voter Identification Card is considered proof of citizenship . . . because everyone knows, only citizens can vote.

Voter Registration Application

6. ID Number
    If you do not provide this information, you will be required to provide identification when you vote.

Attention: Proof of Voter Identification

A first-time voter who registers by mail must present to the appropriate state or local election official:
    1) a current and valid photo identification; or
    2)a current utility bill, . . .

http://www.ss.ca.gov/elections/english.pdf

So why is it such a bad idea to require photo ID at the polls???

13. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) Sufferin' Prius Envy,

You are correct in calling them illegal aliens, as that is how they are defined by the Immigration and Nationality Act as Amended. They are not illegal immigrants and it is truly sad when the press and everyone else want to be politically correct. Look at the situation California is currently in due to the illegal alien problem in that state. There are County Commissions and City Boards hamstringing their own Law Enforcement Personnel. The great cities of Berkley, San Francisco, Oakland and Los Angels just to name a few that have become sanctuary cities to those illegal aliens. I would venture to guess if anyone was to investigate those voter rolls they will find quite a few dead people, children under the legal voting age and convicted felons voted illegally too.

Ben

14. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"79982)</div>
    The only reason the Shrub "won" Florida in 2000 is because thousands of eligible voters, mostly minorities and residents of poorer neighborhoods, were incorrectly removed from the voters rolls and denied the right to vote based on the false pretext that they were convicted felons. Let's not forget the illegal not so random police check points that were set up to intimidate citizens in poor neighborhoods from exercising their constitutional right to vote.

I am still waiting for current and independent (i.e., not a Republican partisan campaign hit piece) documentation that there is a problem in California with non citizens voting. You also have conveniently failed to answer how a photo ID, which may prove legal residency but not citizenship, is going to achieve anything other than harass and inconvenience the vast majority of the voting public.

15. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

I truly doubt there is "only" one reason. A multitude of wrongs were made by both republican and democrat parties. The election process is the loser.

16. Orsino

Orsino New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy\";p=\"79982)</div>
    Because voting is supposed to be a right. By inserting more red tape into the process, fewer people on the fringe of society will be able/inclined to vote. We know which party will benefit the most from voter suppression, and it is no coincidence that that same party is the source of the voter-fraud meme. I see it as just another way to shake a few more likely Democratic voters from the tree.

Despite all the hand-wringing about fraud, all the documentation shows is a gap between registered and actual voters, and doesn't speak to eligibility. More people bothering to vote is a good thing, and I'm unable to muster much outrage over some of those people not bothering/able to register--even if they're not actually citizens.

If the voter-fraud people really cared about fraud, they'd be yelling to overturn the results of the last few elections.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    “ . . . denied the right to vote based on the false pretext that they were convicted felons.â€

Spoken like a good conspiracy theorist there IsrAmeriPrius.

Pretext: a purpose or motive alleged or an appearance assumed in order to cloak the real intention or state of affairs.

Here is your conspiracy which led to the purging of the voter rolls:

The voter purge was mandated after the 1997 Miami mayoral race was overturned because votes were cast by felons and non-residents. Legislators ordered everyone off the voting rolls who did not belong. In the end, that proved to be tens of thousands of "probable felons."

No one has proven intent to disenfranchise any group of voters, but the snafus have fueled a widespread perception among blacks that an effort was made to dilute their voting power . . .

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A...99749-2001May30

As for 2004:

Doug Chapin, a nonpartisan election analyst, finds the claims to be baseless. "There were no problems that would lead me to believe that there were stolen elections or widespread fraud," he said.

"There was no overwhelming reason to cast doubt on the outcome of this election," seconded Democratic strategist Donna Brazile, the campaign manager for Al Gore's 2000 campaign. "George Bush got more votes this time."

Off the record, many Democratic strategists dismiss such allegations, but they also know such resentment can be channeled for political use in the future.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=239735&page=1

I too am still waiting for current and independent documentation that there is a problem in California with non citizens voting . . . but as long as the system does not allow for positive verification of who is registering or showing up at the polls, we will be waiting a long time for that proof. Ignorance does not mean a problem does not exist. You want every vote to count. How about every voter to be counted???

As for harassing and inconveniencing the vast majority of the voting public . . . 91% of the people polled - as noted above in the first post - are for it . . . because in reality it would be neither harassing or inconvenient. In fact, handing over a photo ID would save the poll worker from having to ask, “Sam Smith . . . is that with a C, an S, or an Sh???â€

I’m still waiting for your proof! Especially the part where “ . . . illegal not so random police check points that were set up to intimidate citizens in poor neighborhoods from exercising their constitutional right to vote.â€
    What will you say next? That police used water cannons and attack dogs? :roll:

18. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How deceptive of you to imply that you have asked for such proof before this particular post.

Here is a comprehensive review of the problems in Florida which allowed Bush to "win" in 2000:

http://www.lawyerscomm.org/projects/memoto...edia111700.html

19. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your “Let's not forget the illegal not so random police check points . . .†posts.

And YES, I am still waiting for proof. It’s just that “police check points†trumps your other conspiracy theories in severity.

From your link:
    substantial and credible allegations . . .a long and well-documented history of discrimination against African American voters . . . there have been reports . . . have received complaints . . . details allegations of several forms of outright denial of the right to vote . . . Reports indicate . . . Some minority voters claimed . . . reported that they were shunted . . . they waited for long periods of time . . . many voters said they became discouraged and left without voting . . . Some voters told . . . Some claimed to have been turned away . . . Other voters reported being denied the right to vote . . . poll workers reportedly were instructed . . . Large numbers . . . Witnesses also reported that one, and possibly more, polling places were moved without notice . . . Witnesses reported police checkpoints or police stops . . . Voters who requested absentee ballots alleged . . . a witness has reported that, in one county, hundreds of absentee ballots of registered voters were rejected . . . there are complaints . . . many Haitian American voters may have been denied the right to vote . . . Voters also reported being denied a second ballot . . . the allegations of exclusion and intimidation that civil rights investigations have thus far uncovered show a possible pattern of disenfranchisement . . . voters who tried to vote, and who made heroic efforts to overcome barriers and refusals . . .

Oh my God IsrAmeriPrius, I see a pattern in your link for a “comprehensive review of the problems in Florida which allowed Bush to "win" in 2000!!!â€
    A pattern of ALLEGATIONS and GENERALIZATIONS!!!

Where is the friggin PROOF?!!!!!!!!!!! It has been over four years and four months since that hack piece was written. Where are the articles about the great victories which were won in a court of law proving ANY of these allegations???

I thought so.

If there were police checkpoints and deliberate police stops of minority voters anywhere near any polling place anywhere in the country there would be one hellacious traffic jam with all the news reporters, live TV news trucks, and civil rights attorneys falling all over each other to get the proof.

Hasn’t happened! PERIOD!!! . . . that is unless you are a conspiracy theorist who believes it is the liberal news media who is withholding this information . . . information which would make themselves the GODS of NEWS REPORTING!

NEWS FLASH:
    I think my civil rights may have been violated!

This election cycle our polling place was moved from conveniently less than a quarter mile away to over a mile away in a less desirable and comparably crime ridden neighborhood. Our former polling place did not have a notice posted regarding the closure and new location. The parking was very restrictive at the new poll with not enough spaces available for everyone who wanted one. In fact the parking was on private property with signs warning of trespassing laws and of restricting my rights to park in an area close to the polls. We had to walk a long distance for fear of our car being towed! There were two sheriff deputies hanging around the front of the polling place - one even looked at me which felt intimidating!!!! There were lines inside the polling place and my wife and I had to wait a long time. We were then informed that both our names did not appear on record for voting at that poll. We were not offered a provisional ballot!!! We were sent to another poll without the workers confirming that was where we needed to go. . The poll workers were of a different race than me and my wife. After making our way to the second poll we had to endure standing in another long line and were confronted with questions about who we were and where we lived.

/ / / The end of my report / / /

Everything above is absolutely true . . . but the rest of the story goes . . . the second polling place was 20 feet away on the other side of the room. We voted and went home.
    :eek:

20. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are a certifiable right wing nut. This is a none issue. No one else seems to be interested in this "debate". Even Arnold is embarrassed by your kind.

I am done.

Have a good life.